Tuesday, April 08, 2008

McDonald's Genius



So I haven't gotten McDonalds for the kids in more than a year and a half, but yesterday after a fun trip to the Science Museum, I caved in and I took the three kids through the drive through. Seamus was beyond excited about this and remembered pretty much everything about what he could order and if he'd get a good toy. This is amazing to me. We do not let the kids watch commercial TV - the only thing besides movies they can watch is PBS. As we were driving toward it, Seamus literally yelled "There's the sign! We're getting close!"

As the day went on the brilliance of McDonald's business model became even more evident. First of all, it ain't about the food. It's tasty albeit terrible for you. It's cheap. It feels like a treat both for me and the kids because they enjoy it and it is SO easy an event. The kids each get their own bag with cool pictures. They get chocolate milk in a premixed bottle - which to them is almost like magic. And of course the toy. All for less than 7 dollars.

So I've been feeling a little blah lately and we all needed a good day for the kid's sake as well as mine. They boys were great at the museum and we got to see Auntie Sarah. But I was still reaping the benefit of the McDonalds trip several hours later. I had to take a picture. The boys played with their new "guys" for more than an hour while I was cleaning up the kitchen and getting dinner ready. MJ hung with them for most of it too, just playing with Lego's near her brothers. Chris and Cathy bought the kids the complete audio books of the Chronicles of Narnia last Christmas and so they were listening as they played. This was the most peace I've had in a long time. Thanks, McDonalds.

On a side note, the kids didn't eat their fries. When I had taken them in the past, I'd always get apple dippers instead of the fries. Since I was going all out I decided once a year, they can have McDonalds fries. Neither boy would eat the fries ("I just want the apple dippers, mom") so MJ and I enjoyed ALL the leftovers. Again, Thanks McDonalds.

1 comment:

Renee Miller said...

Ahhh, McDonald's. This is where we are different, Annie. You haven't bought your boys McD in more than a year and a half, and I haven't bought my boys McD in more than a week and a half. :D
I'll second the dippers, though. When we are out and I ask what they want for lunch, they say "apples!" They don't know that they come with caramel sauce, though. I'm so mean.