So I shoveled out from under several inches of snow this morning - and I'm pretty sure that it's April...I'm hoping this is God's sense of an April fool joke and that we're done with all the white stuff until next year.
I know we've had a quite a break from blogging - but I hope to be back with renewed commitment this week (famous last words). Most people I know have had a hard time blogging lately - maybe its the end of winter doldrums or else this is just a busy time of year. But anyway, I'm back.
Grandma Barbara spent ten days with us over Easter - a very snowy Easter at that - but I think she had a good time and I know we all (especially the boys) really loved having her with us. She took the boys to see Horton Hears a Who at the Highland movie theater - Finn ate his weight in popcorn and had to use the bathroom midway through the movie (better than an accident I say). Seamus also had a special trip to Barnes and Nobles to share some stories and hot chocolate with Grandma. He picked out a few books for himself but was very clear that they'd better get an equal amount for Finn (he learned the "even piles" rule from Grandma herself). She bought a condo near Connor and Andie last week (yippee) and we are so proud of her (and excited for trips to another beach!). She and Kate closed on the same day!
But even though this was a hard first milestone for us, I am amazed at human resiliency. Barbara is remarkable. Her capacity for helping others with grief - especially the kids - as well as her ability to really laugh and share joy with the kids. She's got a rich, smiling laugh that earned her the title "Life of the Party". And she always is. We were so glad she came back for Easter this year. Easter is about reconciling the ending and new beginning of life - it's timed nicely with Spring - especially this year because everything still feels off for us. We want sunshine and tulips and yet we still slog through snow and slush - but we know its not forever. The apple trees will bloom in no time, but the wait isn't always easy. And sometimes we feel frustrated and disappointed. Being with Barbara helps us all to see the joys still present in our lives. We had lots of fun. Lots of love. And we can't wait until next time.
We also celebrated Kate's birthday on Saturday with "brunch" (who knew Frost's doesn't serve brunch on Saturday - but did you know the Capital View Cafe serves breakfast all day...same thing right...) and Sunday with a surprise Wild game (they won). Kate's been with us for about 6 months more or less out of the last year and so it's going to be a little strange when she moves into her new place this weekend. So many things have crystallized for us over the last year - and so many things are fuzzy still. I'm sure that living with her brother and his three kids hasn't always been an oasis nor has it always been perfect to share energy and space with another adult. But if we know anything to be true, it's that God gave us siblings, aunts, nephews and nieces, because family is unlike anything else. And we are grateful for every moment we have together because all of those times are precious even in their ordinariness.
We have all struggled over the last year - and struggling together isn't always easy - but for us it's been so much better than being apart. We love Katie and we are so excited for this next phase for her - the new home, the exciting job, the new friends and fresh start. It's hard not to be envious sometimes of all the exciting "newness" of the next year for her (especially when you see how cute her place is and how closely located to good coffee and shopping it is). But we feel blessed by having her so close to us - for all the fun we have right now - but also for what I know the future can bring. Long walks, gin and tonics on the porch (hers or ours), watching the kids playing sports (however hysterically), trying new restaurants, museums, concerts. Enjoying the luxury of last minutes dinners or brunches. Just being able to share our lives casually again. We know how important the everyday is - and I'm so grateful for the everydays we've enjoyed together over the last year as well as the ones that Spring will bring with it. I hope this was a happy birthday, but I also hope for an even better one next year. We love you.
I can't get pictures posted right now - so I'll add more later.
6 comments:
The fact that I communicate with you guys almost entirely via blog comments these days is kind of sad. But I'll think about a blog of my own. You might be disappointed at how boring my life is these days.
XO,
Margo
I am glad you are back, Anne. I missed you.
How about a Minnesota trip to see all your favorite Dougherty's? Maybe June and we'd head to the cabin? Maybe....
Katie also lives two blocks away from a good Irish Bar. O'Garas.
That's what we call in the business - a "JACKPOT"
By the end of this entry I wanted to move to Saint Paul tomorrow!! But then I remembered how it began...snow on the ground in April...
As for the "What should we get MJ" question, I'll take care of the exotic animal so you'll have fewer to choose from.
Thanks for all the kind words, Anne. I will be eternally grateful for the hospitality, patience and joy with which you have welcomed me into your home and your everyday life. Looking forward to seeing what comes next!
Love you.
Post a Comment