It's hard to think through what a two year old, a 22 year old and hopefully an 82 year old will always be able to do together. The answer came in a very simple way. Friends of our family are having their sixth and seventh kids this fall and winter. The first was born shortly before our birthdays and the second will be born around Christmas (biological and adopted). I wanted to bring a meal for them between babies and the only date that was open was 11/11.
I realized this is something we can do every year - some bit of service in gratitude for sharing this day, our lives and our blessings. This year it was quick and simple, maybe when you're older we can do grander things, but the idea is that no matter how old we are, we can always share the chance to do something nice for someone else.
In my life, there has never been anything I wanted more for my birthday than you. I'm sure that will feel overbearing some years, but its the truth.
What can I tell you about your two year old self? Well, first of all, everyone agrees you have more energy and enthusiasm than just about anyone alive. You are more physical than your siblings were at this age. You could get in and out of your crib easily by the time you were 15 months. You are a climber, a runner, a smiler and a jokester. This summer at the cabin you were like a spectator sport for the whole family. Watching you run around, swim and climb was entertainment for the crowd.
Everyone remarked about how "busy" you were - I couldn't take my eyes off you for two seconds or you'd be off. Your siblings took precious care of you and helped corral and contain you as best they could. A favorite pass time was balancing on the upside down canoes near Cabin 4 - at 18 months old you could crawl up on them and race back and forth enjoying every one's admiration of your coordination.
But everything you do is with a smile and a laugh. You got into a fair amount of trouble between one and two years old. You spent your share of time sitting in "the naughty chair". And we all agreed it was because your gregarious and devilish smile made it almost impossible to discipline you! If you didn't listen when I called you, you immediately hugged my neck and smiled when I finally caught up with you.
You have given me a real run for my money at times, which my whole family has enjoyed immensely. But now at two, we seem to have crossed one of those invisible lines. You are an early talker. We can now understand so much of what you want us to know and that has made a huge difference in our lives. You don't need to run ahead to show us, you can just tell us what you want us to see or do.
You can sit through mass quietly now. You love stories and your sibling enjoy cuddling you and reading you all sorts of books. It's not surprising that you love Curious George, all the Sandra Boyton books, Dr. Suess and especially anything having to do with Super heroes. You talk about Batman, Spiderman, the Hulk and your favorite Ironman all the time.
I am often amazed at your memory. I had planned a trip to Choo Choo Bob's when we got home from the cabin and we when pulled up in front the friends we were meeting had to leave unexpectedly. So I scratched the trip. Every time we drive by now, you say: "Choo Choo Bob's next time?" I can't imagine another toddler who could connect a storefront to a missed play date. I hope you're not disappointed when we finally go there today.
You've been such a blessing to our family. You adore Grandpa Dan and I cannot tell you how that makes me feel. We go see Grandma and Grandpa a few times a week and every single time you squeal with delight when we pull in the drive way. You run in the door hollering "Gamma, Gammpa!" until they hug you. It is such a precious gift.
Seamus and Finn are so good to you. You get into their Lego's and projects all the time and I am always amazed at their patience with your toddlerhood. It is as if they understand that it will be all too short. You sneak into their beds in the morning to cuddle and ask for a story - they always oblige and I know enjoy it as much as you do.
Mary Jeanne likes to be a little mother to you. Now that she's reading too, she'll grab books and set up in front of the fireplace to sing you songs and read to you. Whenever she has a friend over, you get absorbed into their play. She likes showing you off to her friends and she doesn't mind you crawling through their playthings.
Dad likes to think of himself as a pretty structured disciplinarian, but he melts with your jokes, giggles and smiles. He treasures alone time with you - you love going on errands or runs with dad.
There is something about you that feels boundless and joyful. Even when you're sleeping you seem to exude happiness.
On our birthdays aunt Mary brought us coffee and treats, we dropped off the meal, headed to the zoo and enjoyed a day just the two of us. For dinner Grandma and Grandpa, Nicky, Lizzie, Kerrie, Winsors, Pat, Dee & Andrew all came for dinner. We enjoyed good food and lots of loud laughter.
Happy Birthday, Mr. Thomas. You continue to be such a precious gift. We love you more than you'll ever know.





No comments:
Post a Comment