So time seems to travel either in fast forward or slow motion. Sometimes it all seems a blur either way. I can't say exactly what's been so busy - although truth be told - besides the daily life of small children - we went on vacation, babysat at Reagan's, finally potty trained Finn and James just got back from New Jersey visiting his mom - so I guess there's been a lot going on. But at the same time things seem to have slowed down a little, laundry is caught up, closets are cleaned, toys are organized and we're all just awaiting the Spring thaw.
MJ is starting to babble - the basic mamma, dadda, noooooo. She also started to crawl up the entire flight of stairs in about 4 seconds today. So life is never dull. The boys have been trying my patience lately in a classic catch 22 sort of fashion. They haven't been listening very well - I tell them "go potty", "get in bed" and "pick up" 50 times for every task - but they're usually ignoring me because they're having so much fun together. What do you do? I'm playing hard ball today and we had no stories at naps today because they got into a giggling fight - Seamus had been playing with a pirate map and Finn was mocking him calling him "Map Boy." And then they'd both burst into laughter.
Finn's language has exploded - James and I believe he went straight from simple two word sentences to "the negotiator". Everything starts with: "Just a little bit? How about just two? Really fast, momma, I'll be quick." And so on. He also has learned a new trick - when the boys are fighting over one toy, I set the timer and they each get a 5 minute turn. Today, Seamus got his turn and Finn played near him for about 30 seconds than disappeared into the kitchen. At which point I hear beeping from the timer and Finn yells: Seamus, it beeped! Now I knew that it couldn't have been 5 minutes, so I go into the kitchen and see Finn smiling. He's pulled a chair over to the timer on the microwave and hit the cancel button a couple of times...Imagine high school...
Seamus has also had some zingers lately. He brought Rexy (his favorite T-Rex dino from Cousin Pam) into the kitchen on Sunday. He told Kate and I that Rexy needed his rest - and he was going to put him to bed in the small bedroom upstairs. Then he pulled up his shirt and started "nursing" Rexy - he looked at the funny expressions on Katie and my faces and said "well, first I've got to feed him!" Good Lord.
He's also taking to saying "god" as in "Oh my..." When asked where he learned to use naughty words he said: "Lewis and Dennis" - Peggy's twin 10 year old neighbors. James always looks knowingly at me and says: "Sure you did, Seamus." And then I blush...Guess my days of colorful language are gone (almost).
I bought a case of granola bars last week - I should have brought in samples of Meth instead. I keep finding the boys hiding behind sofa, in closets and behind the shower curtain eating these cursed things. There are almost gone...thank goodness....
It's a beautiful day today, but there is still snow on the ground and we are so excited for green grass, tulips and long evening walks.
2 comments:
Great stories, Anne. You certainly have your hands full. I think you need a weekend off - how about coming to Charleston??
Can't wait to see you and Katie!!
...shoulda brought home meth, huh? Sounds like another reason why I'm not ready for kids! We need to have you guys over for an "adult" night!
Post a Comment