Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Birthdays. Part 1.



I've been delinquent on posting my typical birthday posts and so I've decided to combine them instead of back dating new posts. Much of what follows was written months ago, but it feels more appropriate to update it with all the things that have happened since July.

First of all, Mr. Finn, you are now fabulously four. Oh my. For your birthday this year we contracted Nick Schneeman and Eric Gough to steal the swing set out of Miller's backyard. While you played happily at Schneemans, your big cousins carried said wooden swing set across the street (it was a beautiful hot day) you were totally surprised by this enormous gift - you even said "But my birthday's tomorrow." I thought this was the grand-daddy of all presents until Bob and Paula showed up with spider-man roller-skates. Lord. Who can compete with that? Danger. Cool brand. Going fast. It has all the ultimate elements. Thanks Winsors (you rotten, hateful people).

Katie spent the night with us (you love when she has a "sleepover") and got up early to make you chocolate chip pancakes. Mom, Dad and Paula also got up early and headed over to the Lifetime Triathlon - this maybe wasn't the best timing that the tri and your birthday were the same day, but you didn't seem to mind. Katie dressed you up in your new birthday duds and brought you all down to the river to cheer for us. I got to yell Happy Birthday from my bike and that was truly the highlight of the event. We had stories and long naps together in the afternoon. Peggy hosted a family party and we had spider-man birthday cake and a nice swim in the pool (those of us who did the triathlon mostly soaked in the hot-tub). It was a wonderful, fun family day. And you are a wonderful, fun big boy.

You like to run with daddy and I - we often have to take a lap or two around the block (or the cabins) with you before or after we go running. We talk a lot about modeling healthy exercise habits in the family - its something that dad and I both enjoy but that we both have to work at. Even though I wouldn't have ideally chosen to have a race on a special milestone for you - I do like the idea that you get to see us enjoying exercise personally and as a family (we wore our "Tri Hard. Tri Often. Tri Together." t-shirts. At the cabin this summer, several people commented on how fast you are and what a good stride you seem to have already - Fast Finnie is becoming a very fitting nick-name for you.

Mr. Finn - we are so proud of you - of the kind of big brother you are to MJ (and big cousin to Connor) - of how much fun you have playing with Seamus. Even still, you and Seamus are best of friends. You have become so helpful to dad and I - picking up, making your bed, helping MJ, grabbing milk from the basement. I can already count on you for so many things - that is amazing to me. You have emerged as a kid who is very reliable - not something most people would say about a four year old.

Even though you are getting older, you still love to cuddle. I know someday you won't want to snuggle in bed and read stories with me, but it hurts my heart to even think about it. I love story time. You are also learning so much right now - writing numbers, letters and even words. I think that your small pre-school class is going to be such a great experience for you. I know that you'll be ready for kindergarten next year, but I don't know that we'll be ready to let you go. It's hard learning that parenting is as much about letting go as it is about holding on.



You are a delight - everyone says so. You've developed this special relationship with Aunt Julie ("My Godmother" as you always say). We spent last weekend in Chicago for Seamus's birthday and it was so much fun watching the two of you dote on each other. Your connection to her is a little bittersweet sometimes - we know how much you and Tom would have enjoyed each other - how special that connection would have been. I take comfort in knowing that I've met your guardian angel - and I know that you're in very special hands. Kids have this special sense - I think its their unspoiled connection to God. You and Connor seem to have been born to be special buddies and there is something ethereal to me that you seek each other out. I'm sure I won't think it's ethereal when Andie and I are wringing our hands at the trouble you've gotten into together - but at least I know that you'll always have each others backs (Good Lord).

We love you more each day. So happy to be sharing these years with you. Happy Birthday, Mr. Finn.



No comments: