Friday, October 02, 2009

Birthdays. Part 2.


Seamus, this was a special birthday for you too - I've said hundreds of times now that this is NOT an every year kind of birthday. You knew we had a surprise planned (and Finn, bless his heart was able to keep a secret). Finn, MJ and I picked you up from school the day before your birthday, you wondered why the car was all loaded up and asked if we were going to the lake. We all pretended this was how the car always looks.

We went to treasure island playground with Carrie and Lizzie and you asked if this was your birthday surprise. I said maybe. After about half an hour we gt in the car and picked daddy up from work - you were not that happy that your birthday surprise was 30 minutes at the park, but you didn't complain (you did ask if you could have a birthday family dinner with Grandma & Grandpa also) . When we picked up dad, we put on Harry Potter glasses made out of black pipe cleaners (thanks Kate) and I read this little poem:

There once was a good boy named Seamus
who admired Harry Potter so famous.

His mom and his dad, Mj and Finn
wanted to take a fun road trip again.

Off to Chicago for three nights so merry,
we're going to see a big show about Harry.

Happy Birthday to OUR magical boy,
you bring us all such sweetness and Joy!


You were so pleased (though I think still a little confused) and away we went. We had a great drive - everyone was so good in the car (even me) and dad and I enjoyed some time to sit and talk without a lot of distractions. When we arrived at Julie's and everyone went right to sleep. We got up the next morning and went to the Museum of Science and Industry for the Harry Potter exhibit and spent the whole day exploring the exhibit and museum - it is an awesome museum. You were a little bit tentative in the exhibit (it didn't help that we went through with a big group of 12 year old students from Indiana). But you seemed to really enjoy the magic of it all. During our lunch break, I asked you what your favorite part of the exhibit was, and you (honestly) said "Just being with my family." Dad and I got a little weepy. I've never been so happy to have taken a trip - it was worth 12 hours on the road just to hear those words.

When we got back to Julie's (which took forever in traffic), she had a special birthday dinner planned included Carbonara (your new favorite), presents and Harry Potter cake! Bedazzled in a new Gryffindor robe, real glasses and wielding a new wand - you couldn't have been any happier. Dad and I rolled our eyes at Julie and told her that if you turned out to be a spoiled brat - it was her fault. But you were so grateful to she and Arnie (who Finn now likes to call Bert) for the special weekend. One of my favorite moments (I had so many) was watching you open the load of presents from Goughs (including Charlie's gift of army guys). Finn was standing eagerly next to you and you turned and gave him two presents to open. He was delighted to share in the fun. I hope you continue to live like this for the rest of your life. The gift is in the sharing, the gift is in the giving. At times you seem to know it better than most adults.

I feel especially lucky to have shared this weekend with Goughs. Aunt Julie is my sister, my godmother and my friend. I might not be a great example of a lot of things, but I feel so proud of my relationship with Julie. She and I have never really shared a house or even lived in the same state. We are different in many ways (but in lots of ways we are exactly the same). In spite of the distances in our lives, we make time for each other. We reach out to each other's children. And we have developed a special bond. People say to me all the time - "Do you even know your older brothers and sisters?" And I can happily say, I don't just "know" them, I love them and I would choose them over and over again as my friends. Being a good sibling isn't always simple, sometimes it will require practical work (phone calls for no reason, making time for vacation together, seeing what you have in common instead of what you don't). But what I think Julie and I would tell you, is that nothing is stronger and more precious than a connection that has been earned.

We had such a great family trip - its something that you'll (I hope) really remember - because I know the rest of us will. We arrived home to dinner with Paula, Bob, Eric and Katie. We were all tired out (except for dad who ran 10 miles - jerk.). I made dinner and we opened more roller-skates from Bob & Paula (again, you hateful people). Katie got you some new clothes and the Muppet Movie (which we watched all together). You were a little less than gracious about her gifts and we talked about it before we went to bed (I think you told her that you expected something cooler from her). When I told you that I disappointed you weren't more grateful to Katie you said: "But how was I supposed to know the Muppet Movie was cool?" I'm pretty sure you and Kate will have words about this again when you see her next weekend. I don't expect you to be perfect, but I do expect that we take time to reflect on the things we do and the way we talk. It isn't about doing everything right the first time, its about striving to MAKE everything right in the end.

I've been waxing poetic about you a lot lately because of kindergarten, but we are just having so much fun right now as parents. You are a riot - developing a sense of humor that extends beyond knock-knock jokes. Last night dad told you that you were going to run home from Grand Ave with mom, carrying an umbrella so I didn't get wet on my run. You looked at him and said - "Great, Dad." And smiled and put your hand on the door. Dad looked at me and said "He's messing with me, isn't he?" I nodded and smiled too.

It's is remarkable to me how quickly we can adapt to new things. Kindergarten feels like the regular routine and you're coming home with new songs, prayers and stories every day. You've gotten so inventive - making cutout books that transition perfectly (the monster's eyes on one page, become the ears of the monster on the next page). It's amazing to me. You're starting to read a little - that makes my heart pound on so many levels. You promised me yesterday while we were reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH that you'd read to me as soon as you learned how.

Seamus, we love you so very much. Let's keep growing together. Happy Birthday, buddy.

No comments: