Today, Seamus and I attended kindergarten orientation.
Whew.
Everything went smoothly and pretty effortlessly (on his part) but a little less so for me (lots of sunglassed weeping - thank God for dark glasses).
Let's review: today was only orientation and you'd have thought I was sending him to the moon.
Fortunately, Seamus is delighted and excited. It's not that I'm sad - the emotion isn't sad at all really - what I'm feeling seems best described as tenderness. These are the moments that hit me the hardest - the tender moments when you see your child for who they are and for what they are dreaming. They are proud moments, often quiet and gentle. The kind of deep breath that is private and almost holy - in fact I think it is holy. They are the moments when you feel so clearly that this child is more than just your child. They are their own person, bigger and unique.
Last night the movie Parenthood was on TV - this is one of my all time favorite movies and I haven't seen it since right after Seamus was born. Both sets of grandparents came to San Francisco when Seamus was born (Doughertys were around for about ten days) and Schneemans came out the day after he was born for the baptism (along with uncle Chris). The night Dougherty's left we went down to see Grandma and Grandpa Schneemans hotel and have dinner. We had a lovely night, but by the next night I was feeling tired and ready to just have my feet up. Dad made a great dinner and we ate at our condo on Van Ness and then put in a movie. Dad and Grandma promptly fell asleep and my dad and I watched Parenthood while passing Seamus (also sound asleep) back and forth. We laughed and cried and it was (for me) a special kind of moment - maybe it was even a tender moment for him - I'll have to ask and see if he remembers. But that was the last time I saw the movie and now a few more years and experiences into parenthood, I found I love it just as much. Life is a roller coaster and you have to sit back and enjoy all the ups and downs because it's over faster than you can imagine.
Seamus, we love you so much and are looking forward to sending you off tomorrow. Have fun with your new and old friends, learn lots and make us proud.
5 comments:
Wow! When did he get so old?! Thanks for sharing first day experiences - I've been wondering how it went. Looking forward to hearing how Seamus will describe it too!
Talk about personalities, look at Finn in the family picture. I love that look on his face - doesn't it just say, I've got something up my sleeve?
Love you all.
That first picture is AWESOME ... and so is the last one, since that adorable little girl is in it!
Congratulations, Seamus. You've been on my mind all week. Can't wait to hear what you think about school. XOXO
Congratulations to all of you for making it through the first day! I can't wait to hear about it from Seamus soon!
Congratulations, Seamus! Wishing you lots of fun adventures and precious friendships. We'll be thinking of you this week!
Post a Comment