Monday, September 29, 2008

You can't handle the truth.

In a wonderful turn of events, we were lucky enough to be at Notre Dame this weekend for an Irish victory AND our nephew, Charlie's, commissioning ceremony. Charlie is a 3rd year law student at ND - and he was commissioned this Saturday as an Navy JAG Ensign.









While the ceremony was devoid of pomp and circumstance (Charlie doesn't even have a uniform yet, there were no no 21 gun salutes, color guard, etc) and lasted less than 15 minutes - it was incredibly moving and impressive. Anne and I felt truly privileged to get to share this with Charlie, his friends, and his parents.
The commissioning oath -
"I, (state your full name), do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

I've known Charlie for about 10 years - so we'll count that as always. Perhaps knowing the intensity of his conviction and loyalty is what made the oath so moving. I'm proud and happy that Charlie is now officially protecting Doughertys from all enemies (foreign and domestic) - we're feeling pretty safe these days. Thanks, Charlie, and Congratulations! Thanks for including us!

P.S. By the way - for you military novices - Navy JAG is the Judge Advocate Generals group - in a nutshell, the lawyers for the Navy. They were made famous by that blockbuster hit "A Few Good Men". That should give you an accurate picture of the world Charlie has just joined. That's correct - In addition to defending our constitution - Charlie will be playing LOTS of softball. I'm also hopeful that someday he'll be in a courtroom and say, "You're out of order, he's out of order - THIS WHOLE COURT is out of order". But I'm kind of a dreamer.

3 comments:

Things I May Regret Writing said...

Be sure to also tell your nephew never to say "I strenuously object." They don't like that. -Lillian

Courtney Stanz said...

Are we CLEAR? Crystal.

Carl and Meg Schneeman said...

i can't wait to see how many movie lines come out at the holidays now. pretty cool that you guys were able to be at the swearing in ceremony - does this mean that Charlie gets to beat Navy all the time now?