
Happy 5th Birthday, Mr. Man. It's early morning, we've got a busy day, but I am thinking and wishing so much for you that I couldn't sleep. When I kissed you last night, I said I'd tell you the story of the day you were born tomorrow, even though I think you already know it by heart. We'll do that this morning, maybe for the last time with you in my lap, you seem to be growing faster than truly possible.
You are gregarious, extroverted. You make friends quickly and you love action. Your school days are hysterical to me because you always have stories about them (the truthfulness of which is unclear). For example you told me yesterday that you are the blue group leader, when I asked you more about it, you said "Jack was the green group leader" and that everyone followed you around. Do they? I'm not sure, but I will, I love your stories. We often say to you "is this the truth or a story?" and now that I'm back in school, I find myself asking the same questions all the time.
You are very interested in politics - mostly because of these large signs in our neighborhood. You tell us all the time that you are voting for Barack Obama (whose name you can spell because of all the signage) because you think his name is cool. You were disappointed that he didn't fly planes and crash while he was a soldier (to a 5 year old, I think its almost impossible to vote against a soldier). In your mind you had morphed your favorite parts of both the candidates (you're not the only one who wishes he/she could do that) into one super candidate.
Your enthusiasm caused me a bit of pain the other day when the FedEx guy came to the front door. He was a younger, black man with a short haircut, you saw him through the glass and yelled, "Mom! Barack Obama's at the door!" I'm not sure how to explain all my mortification. So, clearly there is not enough diversity in your 5 year old life, but nothing seems to frighten you, you take everything and everyone with wonderful exuberance. You were so excited to meet him.
Your dad bought you new cereal bowls and batteries for the old camera for your birthday. One thing that I love about you, is that these gifts will thrill you. You won't expect anything else. When you and dad were talking about needing new bowls last week, dad said to you that they were probably really expensive, so we couldn't get more. You told him, "No, dad, I bet they're only about two dollars. I've got two dollars in my piggie bank." Dad told you that you'd better save all your money, save it and if you didn't spend it, it would grow. He was telling me this the other night and I could hear your grandpa and your great grandpa saying the same things to their sons (which they did over and over again).
Here is what we know, what we believe to be true about how we want to live our lives, these are the things that we absorbed from our parents, our siblings, our experiences:
Save for the future. Treasure what you have. Take care of the things that are important to you.
I am eager to find out what it is you will believe to be true, what beliefs you will use to live your life by. If the last 5 years are any indicator, maybe it will be something like:
Smile. Run. Embrace.
Seamus, as I said, today is going to be a busy day. I hope you feel loved. I hope you have fun. We've learned so much together over these last, fast 5 years, I look forward to everyday because you make every moment shine. Happy Birthday, Buddy.
9 comments:
Happy 5 Seamus. Hope you have a fun filled day!
Happy 5th Birthday, Seamus!! I hope you can feel the love from SC today! We can't wait to see you in about a month!
Love,
Andie & Connor, Max & Macy
Thanks Max and Macy for the Pokemon toys. Seamus loves them. Really loves them.
I'll make sure to get you a cat or huge pile of dirt or some of Andie's favorite shoes for your birthday.
Love,
Seamus's mom, dad and aunt katie.
I love you, Seamus. Thanks for letting me wake you up and wish you happy birthday this morning. You're the only kid I know who is cheerful and thankful when being woken out of a dead sleep.
We're going to have a fun lunch together! Thanks for coming to see Dad at work!
Happy Birthday big guy! I hope 5 is everything you expect it to be (ha). I knew it was your birthday, and was anxiously looking forward to Anne's post this morning - I love Dougherty birthday posts- they always make me a little teary, and wishing I could be so eloquent. Love to all - enjoy the day!
Happy Birthday Seamus!!!
Love,
Liz
This is a super post. Congratulations on five great years!
Happy Birthday Seamus!!! Have a great day!
Ah happy belated birthday Sea-man! I want some homemade carrot cake! Love from milwaukee, :P
Lucy
Post a Comment