Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Summer of Fitness? Fall of Hard Bodies!

So summer's over (sigh. groan. moan.). But our fitness streak is (hopefully) only just starting. James, Katie and I completed a 25k race on Sunday. OK folks, this is 15.535 miles. That is far. Very far. We'd been out late the night before at the Nativity Auction, we were smart enough to not imbibe too much, but none the less we were out late.

I thought Katie and I were going to walk most of the race, but it turns out that Katie walks way faster than my little legs can carry me, so I jogged next to her for the first half of the race. I decided to stretch my legs a little after about mile 8 because I was starting to cramp up. This turned into running the last 7.5. At mile 10, I thought I'm almost done, I'll just keep running. At mile 10? Since when did I think that 5.535 miles was "almost done"? Anyway, I was very sore when I finished and was worried that I'd done permanent bodily harm, but it turns out all you need is a good night's sleep because I'm feeling fine now. But it was quite a day. Katie finished at a faster pace than the NY half marathon - as we decided that we like 12.5 miles MUCH better than 15.5 miles. We all believed that the last two miles were the worst. Good to know. Good to know.

Now James, he's totally insane. He went out and decided that instead of just running a 25k, he should crush some spirits. He finished the whole thing while never running slower than 7 minute miles. That is freak show fast. That is "like the wind" fast. That is "I'll go get the car, have breakfast, see a movie and take a shower" before the rest of you fools are done fast. I'm so proud of him - I think he's a nut job - but I'm very proud of him.

We've got to find another race...


4 comments:

Things I May Regret Writing said...

So, it's official, I could never be a Dougherty. I don't like to exert myself.

-Lillian

jdoughe3 said...

So...one of our dougherty slogans (tongue in cheek) is "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

The quote of the day from Anne at race finish when I reiterated this inspiritional slogan with her - "Well, I don't think there is any more weakness left in my body."

Also, if you yell at Seamus - "What is Pain?"
He yells back "Weakness leaving the body"

Now - he's 4.5 - and it's somewhat unintelligible...but, trust me, that's what he says. It's a great party trick.

Katie said...

Wow, those pics from after the race turned out really cute. You would hardly know that James is all cheerful and excited for us to take a picture, and Anne and I are barely standing up. We all look pretty good. Ah, the magic of still photography. Thank goodness there's no audio.

Renee Miller said...

So, there was someone with an ax chasing you, right?
I can't think of any other reason to run. ;)
Nice job, friends!