Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Little of This & That...

I'm recharging the camera, so I'll add some pictures later, but I have a few minutes and wanted to post some of the kid stories before I forget them. I'm desperately trying to remember all the interesting/thoughtful things that Seamus has said the last week or so - it's a wild transition watching him go from reactive communication to a more thoughtful and complicated thinker.

He asked me the other day what a heart attack was and why did uncle Tom have one. This was after he had asked me why they were talking about uncle Tom on the music (I was listening to MPR in the car and they were talking about stem cell research and first time heart attack patients). It was the first time I realized that he has understood a lot more than we realized he did about what had happened. Then while we were driving by our church, he asked where the baby Jesus statue was (from the nativity scene that was outside the church during Christmas). I said that they only brought it out during Advent. And he was quiet for a second and then said that uncle Tom was in heaven with Jesus and just like Jesus, uncle Tom was also in his heart...I thought James was going to have to pull over.

We think about kids as having such a simple view of the world, but I think we've learned that it isn't simple at all - it's as complicated and confusing as our own. The first time we told him about Tom, he asked how and then he asked why? And then he went through a list of people named Tom that he knew to make sure he understood who were we talking about - that surprised us a little. But in reality its about the same process we went through too. We were so shocked, it took us hours to really even understand that it was our Tom who was gone.

At the wake, Seamus slept in Grandpa Tom's arms for almost an hour - and he slept through the whole funeral on James's lap - this is a kid who almost never sits still. I bought a card once that showed a soft, fluffy bird resting in the palm of a hand; and the caption read "Sometimes we give and receive comfort at the same time." And Finn who is in the wild phase where he destroys everything he touches, would have nothing the whole time we were in Charleston except for Grandpa. He could be in the throws of a tantrum or some sort of fit and if you said: "Where's Grandpa?" He'd stop immediately and go look for him. It appeared that they were a sort of tonic for each other.

Seamus also tells James every day that he's so sorry his brother died and that he loves him. I believe now that kids are connected to God in a way that we somehow out grow or over-think. We hope, we pray, we have faith; but I believe that Seamus just knows.

When he grows up, I hope he remembers some of this, because its been a great example of letting the children teach and comfort...

Seamus and Finn are also in a really fun phase - where they are into "jokes". Seamus tells knock, knock jokes to Finn (which really only consist of "knock, knock" and then they both burst into laughter. Seamus can also keep Finn rolling for half an hour if he just says "Ut Oh". The other night it went on for almost an hour - they were chasing each other around the house laughing and saying "Ut Oh."

They are both getting excited about the new baby - only a few more weeks - and I think Finn is even starting to get the picture. They both like to rub my belly and look in my belly button to "see the baby". Seamus asks a few times a day if its time for the baby to be born - he's starting to get concerned again about what happens to he and Finn when I go to the hospital. He told me a few nights ago before bed that he wanted to sleep at the hospital too because otherwise he'd worry about me. I've noticed that he's needed some extra hugs and kisses before school and bedtime lately - I guess we all feel that way.

The doctor said she doesn't think that we're having a very big baby - which probably doesn't mean much - but it does lend itself to the idea that Connor will probably be twice the size of our baby by the time he/she is born. I'm feeling good. Had some contractions this weekend which kicked us into gear a little bit - but everything has stopped now. So we're hoping for a due date baby...

Most people are voting that D3 is a little girl - and for the first time I'm even starting to think that it is. We'll see...

2 comments:

Andie Dougherty said...

Thank you so much for sharing these stories, Anne. Give the boys big hugs and kisses from Connor and me. We miss you and love you all so much!!

Katie said...

I really need to stop checking these sites at work. Every day, its another cry-fest!

Thanks for sharing, Anne. I love you all so much!