Sunday, May 08, 2011

Mother's Day Adventure

Today was a big and fun mother's day for me (and it's still going). The day started with breakfast in bed (thanks Seamus), a lovely walk to church with the family and then the decision to bike to the farmer's market.

The skies started to turn cloudy as we took off but held out mostly until we arrived down town. This was Seamus's maiden voyage on the new (craigslist - more on this story later) bike. He did great. In fact the thing I wanted most for mother's day - I got.

Kids who embraced the adventure of family with a sense of humor and fun. If you asked me this morning what I wanted to do today, I would not have said bike 17 miles in the rain with three kids only to arrive at the farmers market as every one was packing up. But the truth is that it was a perfect sort of day for our family, for me in particular.

The thing I will say about being a mom that has most surprised me is that it all feels like an adventure. You never know what each day will bring, what plans will be made and broken, what surprises are around the corner. Motherhood requires a healthy sense of humor, a peacemaking with the unknown and a willingness to embrace life as it rolls out before you. Biking in the rain showed me today that I have resilient, hardworking kids who had a good sense of the importance of being a team player. They knew today was special for me and so during the rain, the cars, the flicking dirt and the onset of chilly wind, no one complained. Not once. In fact, we sang, we laughed and we took pictures to remind us of this funny, fun day.

For me, this is motherhood. We face each day not knowing what is in store, but we face it together as family and in the end there is nothing more precious or rewarding. I love being a mom - and I thank God that he sent these kids to us. He must of known how much I'd need them.

We've all had warm baths and good snacks and now are on our way to have dinner with my mom and dad - talk about the perfect day. I love being a mom and I learned from the best in the business. I'm 35 years old and for as much as I love being a parent - I still love being a daughter. These are the days where I can see care giving and care receiving are so closely related. It is a circle, a lovely, wildly revolving circle. And I am so grateful for it.

1 comment:

jdoughe3 said...

While Finn (on the tagalong bike) never complained despite getting the dirt from my back tire up in his face, he did have excellent suggestions.

"Dad, maybe we should call a bus?"

"Next time, we should consider driving."