So Easter this year was more than just a religious celebration, more than just MJ's 4th birthday, it was a major milestone for the whole family.
Mostly because the Easter morning basket hunter took an unexpected turn for the kids. After finding their three baskets, I emerged from the kitchen with another basket filled with now unfamiliar items like a baby bottle, booties etc. We asked the kids why we'd need to have 4 baskets and they answered: For baby Henry (Carl and Meg's new addition), for Fritzie (Carl and Meg's previous addition), for Mary Krumm (a favorite family friend), until Seamus finally said: "Because mom's got a baby in her tummy." And I said "Yes, I do." And Seamus, eyes wide as plates, said "YOU DO???"
Finn didn't know quite what to do with himself, but as always did the sweetest thing, he came over and gave me a hug. When you don't know what to say, hugging seems to be the best option. MJ looked at the boys for direction, but eventually crawled onto my lap. It was such a fun way to share the news with the kids - we had known for what felt like an eternity - and so it was so much fun to finally be able to talk to the kids about it. MJ had spent the last two months, suggesting that now might be a nice time to have a baby, that maybe there was a baby in my tummy and I didn't know it, and my personal favorite, you have a nice tummy mom, but I think there's something in it. After hugs, kisses and a few logistical questions, we headed off to church. Before the opening music had even started, Seamus had told about 40 people. James dropped us off and parked the car and by the time he got to his seat in church he'd already been congratulated several times. He was astonished. We didn't think about the kids (mostly Seamus) having their own social network now. They were so excited to tell people that there was no stopping it.
After church at the Schneeman Easter brunch, my dad read a blessing (I had told my parents when I went to visit them in Florida so they'd known for a while too). He mentioned gratitude for all of our loved ones who are now with us in spirit and for the new life in our midst and he mentioned our new baby. It was a fun way to tell the whole family - and of course it was emotional. It's a lovely thing to be able to cry out of happiness.
Baby, I don't know anything about you yet, but I can tell you that you are already so loved. Dad and I anxiously awaited the end of the first trimester, and now that we're more than 4 months along (and I've felt you fluttering away), we feel so fortunate to know that you're well on your way to joining us. Your siblings pray for you and talk nonstop about you every day. Every first grader at Nativity is also praying for you - this is such an unexpected blessing to me. The thought of all these little kids hoping, thinking and praying for Seamus's unborn sibling, just makes me smile. Kids I don't know stop me on the play ground to ask if I'm Seamus's mom. So when you get here, there will be quite a celebration.
Dad will have to post the photos and the video - I can't find them on the shared drive (thank god for live in tech support).
Baby, take your time. Grow. Grow. Grow. I hope to meet you right before my 36th birthday (or if you're like your siblings sometime afterwards). I can't think of anything I've wanted more. We're right here waiting for you.
1 comment:
Well, I am sitting here in tears, that was such a sweet post and it made me think about all our announcements and how we made them, but the most special was when we were able to tell our kids...Congratulations and lots of prayers!
Post a Comment