Last week I worked hot lunch and as I've mentioned recently, MJ did not want to go to the nursery and had a bit of a crying fit. The other moms were helpful and sent me into the actual lunch room where MJ could help me open milk cartons, clean up messes and refill salad dressing. I can't say that I was a big help - the kids sort of clean up after themselves pretty well - even the little kids - I only opened one thing of milk.
So mostly I walked around and visited with the kids. It was amazing to me how well organized and well behaved all the kids were - I expected a bit more chaos.
By the time Seamus arrived for his lunch, MJ was warming up a bit but still mostly hanging around my legs. This was so unlike her - but for whatever reason she was being shy.
Seamus made a place for her to sit next to him (with all of the other first grade boys from his class). He shared his pizza and fruit with her even after I told him that she'd get her own lunch. He said he wasn't that hungry, but I could tell that he knew she was having fun. She sat in between these boys, laughing and smiling, having a lovely little adventure. Seamus got her a napkin and asked me if he could get her a milk - "Mom - she's got to be thirsty - its cheese pizza!".
Once the kids had all finished eating, Seamus took MJ by the hand and introduced her to the girls table. The first grade girls descended on her like mini-moms, bending down and asking her questions. This went on for about 10 minutes - I was standing a few tables away just watching. Seamus kept his hand on her shoulder the whole time the girls fussed over MJ. Not protective so much as he just looked proud.
After they made their way back to the boys table, I walked over and asked Seamus what the girls thought of MJ. He looked up at me with a big smile and a red, flushed face. "Mom, they liked her a lot. They think she's super cute."
I don't know what part of this whole experience made Seamus blush, I'm not sure that he knew either. Whether it was getting a little extra attention from the girls, or maybe he became self conscious once he got back to the boys table. I didn't ask.
But he was sweet and kind to MJ and I can't help but think that these are the little moments that make all the difference.
2 comments:
What a sweet story.
XOXO
That little boy is adorable.
And I say that even though he called me "Mrs. Hewitt" today. WHAT? If I'm Mrs. Hewitt, then we obviously haven't been hanging around enough. Let's have a family date.
Post a Comment