
James and I have registered to run a marathon in California on December 6th. Now, James running a marathon is something that won't shock people, but I'm pretty sure that everyone I've told so far thought I was joking. I'm not. I might not break any speed records, but I've got it into my thick skull that I want to finish this race.
It all started because I was jealous that James was going to have a"get-a-way" weekend with Charlie and so I said - "Well, I'd love to be able to do something like that too, you know." And James said. "Great!" We'll do it together." And I thought - oops. What just happened here? There are SOOOO many better ways to guilt James into taking me on a little vacation. Not well played, Anne. Not well played at all.
But the truth is, we're working hard at staying in shape over the winter and this seemed like a good way to stay motivated (or terrified). So far so good. I've finished runs of 7, 10 and 15 miles on my own (something I would have thought impossible a few years ago) and it was very empowering.
On Saturday during my long run I was thinking about how having kids has changed me on so many levels. I was never a serious, competitive athlete (I was a slow swimmer and decent golfer but that's about it). In fact I was mostly a wimp when it came to endurance sort of workouts. Obviously being pregnant and going through labor changed me forever - but in one way I would have never expected.
I learned I was gritty and determined. Pregnancy taught me how to pay attention to my body, how to pay attention to what and why I eat and fundamentally appreciate how amazing our bodies really are. During labor, I discovered I knew how to channel my energy, how to truly focus on the task at hand, and maybe for the first time in my life I was really proud of what me and my body could do. I can say all of these things because I had healthy, uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries (I was very lucky). But its a funny thing to realize that my kids really introduced me to my inner athlete - and she is having a pretty good time getting out.
My mom started running competitively later in life (another way I am so much like my mom). My mom, dad and several of my siblings have finished marathons and so I'm hoping to join the ranks. But for me even though the athlete is coming out, my competitive edge is still as sharp as a down pillow. The joy of running is not about going fast, but in just the act of getting out, having a quiet mind, and feeling my heart pump. Hello, Lady, it's nice to meet you.
No comments:
Post a Comment