MJ you are joyful, loud, loving, funny. You're talking more everyday. My favorite is whenever I ask you about something you're not interested in (or have no reason to know), you tell me "I don't know." And you'll look at me like I'm a lunatic. For example, you were playing nicely with your new dolls from Katie and I asked you if Seamus went out into the yard. You chimed "I don't know" and then if you knew how to roll your eyes, I'm sure you would have.
One thing I'm already confident about - you will not be short on personality (though you probably will be short). For your birthday post, I'll call it spunk. At the end of a long day, I usually call it something else.
You are a cuddler. In the mornings, you like to wedge yourself in between dad and I. Sometimes you like to rub backs and snuggle other times you want to play. You've got a great laugh. I love to listen to your voice, especially in the morning and especially when you're giggly.
You do genuinely love your brothers. They are your favorite source for tormenting (I would have thought it the other way around). This morning Katie stopped over to give you your present (which you are now wearing and actively playing with - a set of wooden dolls and some wonderful new clothes). While Katie and I were talking, Seamus was trying to linger and get some attention from Kate. You came and grabbed his hand and dragged him back to play with you in the sun room. He obeyed (as he usually does in your case) and we didn't get to see what you had in mind for him, but I love that you all play together. When I got you dressed in Kate's new outfit, purple shirt and khaki shorts, Finn was also changing and he announced that "You look really beautiful MJ." And then you twirled. I love the idea of developing self worth and self confidence from your older brothers (and they from you).
I was thinking this morning about being at the hospital - I was induced because you were overdue. I felt great, but I was ready to meet you. We were all ready for you to come into our lives. When we got to the hospital, Dr. Jaeger wanted to break my water right away. In my previous experience (I'd been induced with Finn and with Seamus they had to break my water to keep things moving), water breaking equals serious contractions. I told the doctor firmly (and she's not a woman who people usually argue with) that I'd happily start the pitocin and whatever else they wanted to do to get labor moving, but that I wanted some time to have a nap, read my magazine before "real" labor started. I told her that this was going to be my last chance to have a nap and be alone with my husband for a while and we wanted to enjoy it. And we did. two hours later she broke my water. An hour and a half after that - they rested you on my chest for the first time. Life changed for us in that instant. You expect to feel different the first time you hold your child, but you can never fully articulate how much 7 pounds can change who you are. It's happened with all three kids - the ground sort of shift underneath you when you feel the weight of what God's just given you. It is a moment of great gratitude.
We just got back from a lunch date with Dad. You told everyone who asked that you were 3. I hope you can resist growing up any faster than you already are. You ordered fruit and yogurt and waved and smiled at all the people we saw. It's funny to see you be shy - you are so much more of a clown at heart.
We had a birthday party for you, Grandpa Dan and Aunt Mary last Sunday. You were given some wonderful presents (horses seemed to be a a happy theme for you and of course the tinkerbell costume - NOT a princess costume - Dad feels very strongly about this point) and we watched old movie from when all the Schneeman's were younger (but not necessarily better looking). We had brats and lots of macaroni and cheese (compliments of MJ the grander). Three cakes and lots of fun. Uncle Nick commented that it's almost no fun when the two year old doesn't melt down on her birthday. I disagreed. It was lovely.
You love Curious George. Do all children? We read about George everyday. You love to answer the questions from one of the board books. "Are you curious?" "Do you ever feel happy?" "Or scared? "Or proud?" "Have you ever been naughty?" "Are you mischievous?" You love to yell "Yes!" and giggle. You are so many things. You're napping now. Sweet dreams, little girl.
4 comments:
Happy Birthday, sweet Mary Jeanne!
Love you, Little MJ. Thanks for a great two years so far and more to come!
Who loves MJ? I do! Happy Birthday!
Wow, those are some great pictures, aren't they?
Happy birthday, MJ! I can't believe you're already 2!!!
Post a Comment