John is James's Godfather and his rockstar (although he didn't wear a tie when he was Connor's proxy godfather...but that's another story) uncle. Maureen is his aunt extraordinaire - also known as the "go-to aunt" for babysitting, picture taking, kids supplying...etc. The girls, Megan and Katelyn (otherwise known as Knucklehead One and Knucklehead Two) are totally and wholly adored by the boys (and us too).
Beginning when we lived in New York, we started meeting John and Maureen in Newark for Portuguese food (Newark is known for this food - less so for its urban charm). This has become one of our favorite traditions - the food and Sangria are great (unbelievable actually) but spending an evening with John and Maureen without all the chaos of kids or parties has been a real gift for us.
This year Katie, Andie, James and I said goodbye to grandma, grandpa and the TWO new babies and drove with Seamus and Finn up to Clark, NJ (Thanks grandparents!). At which point we then said goodbye to the two girls, the two boys and a babysitter named (I'm not kidding) Vinny, so we could say "Hello" to some adult time with Sangria. Now James and I have been talking this tradition up a lot, and I hadn't thought much about the neighborhood the restaurant was in, but let's just say that as we're nearing the place, Andie asked in her sweet southern way, "Is this where the restaurant is?" What's a few abandoned cars, some blown out windows and the realization that one of us carries a gun when we come. But true to the quality of the company and the food, we had a fabulous time and I think Katie and Andie would even come back with us.
During our last vacation to New Jersey it was a present bonanza - every time we saw them the kids got more treats - bribery might not be ethical, but let me tell you it sure works. Our house is covered with reminders of them, and we hear a lot of "Uncle John gave that to me..." sorry girls John does get most of the credit. It's hard to compete with a guy who is really, really tall and a lieutenant in the police force (he sent the boys model police cars for Christmas - BIG winner - made Santa look pretty bad).
So, I have not finished writing thank you notes from the NJ trip when I get a package in the mail yesterday. I considered not opening it until I had completed the previous thanking. But I did. Here's what it contained...
It came with a letter address to MJ.
Hello Mary Jeanne,
You are receiving this gift for one of three reasons (you pick one):
1.) Seamus and Finn are too straight laced and we need you to be the rebel of the family.
2.) This is a shameless attempt by the Clark Dougherty's to be mentioned on the Dougherty Clan website.
3.) We saw the gift - thought it was funny_ and you were the only one we knew who it would fit and whose parents would actually dress her in it.
Hope all is well.
Guess what she wore to drop off Seamus at preschool and is now napping peacefully in...
We love the Clark Dougherty's. Thanks for all the fun.
2 comments:
With her signature "rock on" finger suck, combined with her tendency to stick her tongue out a la KISS, MJ is destined to be the headbanger in our family. Thanks, Clark Doughertys, for helping to send her on her way fashionably!
Hi, you don't know me, but I'm Katie's friend Lillian from San Francisco. I have been spying on you through your blog. I finally had to de-lurk myself to say I love that onesie!!!! My baby has a Dead Kennedys onesie that I love to death. Our babies should go to loud concerts together.
Post a Comment