
What can I tell you about George, kids? He was my Uncle Drosselmeier. Mischievous and lively, an instigator and a watcher. He lived simultaneously as an outsider and an insider. He loved beautiful things, history, words, and creating something with purpose.
I was sort of mystified by him when I was a child, and now that I am an adult, I find myself only more mystified. His work was about collaboration, in so much that if he worked with his friends, it ceased to be work.
It was always shocking to me to see he and my dad together - so different and so much the same. The brightest of blue eyes, their twinkle, the laugh and their hands. There is something special about brothers and that connection. George had a temper that got fiery sometimes, I've only heard my father raise his voice once in my life. But a thousand miles apart, they raised children with the loves of their lives, enjoyed gardening, playing cards and loved their families above all things.
I have wonderful memories of talking politics on the telephone, sharing food with he and Katie in their apartment surrounded by the artifacts of his living (the harpsichord, the pottery, the furniture, the wall art). He was complicated and loved, and he leaves behind many sad hearts and many, many beautiful things.
He was written up in the New York Times on Saturday - he would have laughed at that immensely.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/31/arts/design/31schneeman.html?_r=1
No comments:
Post a Comment