Thursday, February 26, 2009

Personal Lessons.

So yesterday I found out that I didn't get a spot in the MFA program at the U for next fall. I was surprised and not so surprised, but it doesn't change how badly it feels to be disappointed. I've been thinking about what this experience has meant to me, how its affected me and therefore what I've learned. This seems like one of those things I should be blogging about. I'm still a little raw, but even just one day has given me new perspective.

Well, I guess the first thing is to understand how this got started in the first place. Last summer I had a moment of clarity that revealed to me how much I missed being in a community of writers/learners. And I got motivated (and maybe more importantly) - I got organized. I applied to take two classes in the MFA (Master of Fine Art) program at the U of M and was sort of shocked when I got in (this acceptance was only to take the classes - I had to give a transcript, a personal statement and a writing sample). I completed both class with James's support and got As. At the end of that process I applied to the full MFA program (the acceptance rate is less than 1%). They took 4 people in nonfiction this year (hundreds of applicants).

So I've been waiting to hear since the end of December and yesterday I finally got the letter. It was short and to the point and I cried. The whole time I was crying, I was thinking "I know what real sadness is - I've been though much worse things- THIS is not that bad." And yet, I cannot pretend that this rejection didn't cause me real grief.

Seamus, you asked me why I was crying and I told you that I didn't get into my school, and you tried to be comforting (which was actually very comforting). We went to mass and to Grandma and Grandpa's house and I was still sad and a little weepy. I'm 33 years old and my parents are still parenting me. My dad held me in a really long hug and my mom made us all food. No one really understands your disappointment and suffering like your parents, I suppose because you are forever a part of them and vice versa. My dad said, "You know the U of M is a fabulous place, really an amazing school. But even really great places make mistakes." And it was about the nicest thing a dad could say.

I'm realizing that its been so long (I can't even remember an example) of when I had taken a risk, really put my hope on the line. Risk has a unique definition for everybody. I was not fearful of having kids - so welcoming the three of you into our lives was never a scary thing for me (for a lot of people, I think this is the single most frightening thing they ever do). Staying home full time did not cause me huge personal conflict either - things happened naturally and so these were relatively simple decisions. I think many adults spend most of their lives trying to avoid taking personal risks, in fact I think people often will avoid risk taking at almost any cost. I'm not sure that this is true - but it feels true to my experience. Its not comfortable to stretch. It's scary. Sometimes its paralyzing.

As a child, I remember being pretty fearless, pretty magnanimous. But at some point we worry about being embarrassed, about feeling let down, about not being good enough. I suppose its an impossible goal, human nature is a strong creature to fight against, but I hope you never stop taking chances because you're afraid to be embarrassed, to be vulnerable, or to fail.

And so I look at the three of you and think that I never want you to shrink from reaching high, from applying yourself even though the odds are against you. I don't want you to get so comfortable that you stop wanting to grow, or change. Timidity should never define you. I am so grateful for this experience (tears and all). It is not an ending for me but a new beginning. I learned that it is satisfying and terrifying to put yourself "out there" but that in the end, you cannot not fully know who you are until you trust yourself enough to open your arms, your heart and your life to higher goals.

I think this will make me a better parent because it has reawakened in me the sense of responsibility to encourage you to see that satisfaction can only be gained by hard work and tough choices, and maybe most importantly to recognize that there is always opportunity in disappointment. I suppose what I've long believed is that it isn't our successes that define us as much as our ability to embrace hardship with grace, dignity and the eagerness to move forward.

10 comments:

Meredith said...

You are still one of my favorite writers! And congratulations on completing the writing classes. I can barely make dinner at the end of the day. U of M will realize their mistake soon.

jdoughe3 said...

I'm so proud of you, Anne. So, so, proud.

The Wills Family said...

U of MN - clearly idiots. Your clarity, faith and strength constantly inspire me. Thank you for so generously sharing your gifts with your friends and family. We love you.

Unknown said...

Dear Anne, I have told many a student teacher and my son that even though you are up there with the best in effort and talent, it's often a numbers game.
Two weeks before I got my current wonderful teaching job, I was turned down by a low paying preschool. I thought I might never get another teaching job. (year 38!)
Doors close, and if we listen to our inner voices, doors open. I think you should send today's essay to the selection committee - if I were on it, you would be a shoo-in - I would just pull up the fifth chair for you. (I'm serious about this - along with a request for an interview to discuss your future with them.)
I read all the time, and you are one of my favorite writers, and if that doesn't count for much, 2 A's from a prestigious writing program should let you know "you have what it takes!" Love, Pat

Carl and Meg Schneeman said...

I'm 33 years old and my parents are still parenting me.

From what I see, they never do stop. We're so blessed to have them with us.

...you cannot not fully know who you are until you trust yourself enough to open your arms, your heart and your life to higher goals. Such a great saying for the kids.

mary the sister, daughter and mom said...

clearly, annie after all these wonderful words and thoughts, in this present future the good Lord has a bigger assignment for you...just doing your daily stuff with your beautiful family and all of ours and your friends and the aquaintenances that you meet might just be the plan. But no one will really know the plan until each day is complete. you're on some course like we all are. you have AMAZING talents and you live them fully each day, a living growing alive body of creative forces for all of us to absorb and for you to explore...blah blah blah live it to the fullest!

kellyanne said...

I am really sorry to hear the news about the U. I was crossing my fingers for you hoping that things would turn out the way you had wanted... but no matter what I have to say that I'm really very proud of you - as are so many other friends and family members. I know that this little downfall is a stepping stone (maybe not in the same direction as you had hoped) for bigger, greater things. Your talents are going to carry you to other wonderful places and before you know it, you are going to look back and see what and where your hard work has taken you. Never give up Anne. I wish you all the best!

Renee Miller said...

I just read this now, Annie, and I'm shedding a couple of tears for you.

I love you!

Courtney Stanz said...

Programs of higher ed can hone, tweak and inspire - but they can't create the essence of a writer. You've got a gift from God inside of you that will be recognized at the right time, by the right place. I believe that in my heart. Maybe it will be U of M next year, perhaps someone will pass your blog along to a publisher they know, or maybe this blog in and of itself is meant to inspire others to take pause and see goodness and God in their lives. Either way, thank you for sharing and reminding us that disappointment is not failure, and that it is still ok to have our feelings hurt by rejection (even though we go on about how others' opinions of us don't matter)....and that after taking the appropriate amount of time to lick our wounds, we must keep going.

Caity Schneeman said...

Oh my goodness, Annie, way to make me cry! I'm so proud of you and really shocked that you didn't get in. You should definitely send this essay to the selection committee. They'd never be able to sleep at night. Love you tons Annie and stay strong. You are such a wonderful example and I look up to you so much! Love, Caity