Thursday, May 08, 2008

Can You Tell the Weather's Been Better?



So I haven't been inside with the computer very much, it feels so nice to be out walking all over again. Although last night I needed to make a quick run to get wine from the liquor store, and I thoughts, "why, it's so nice, I'll just walk..."

Well, we stopped at Nick and Erin's on the way there and Seamus left his shoes which I didn't notice until we were about three blocks from the store. Fortunately, Finn was wearing a pair of Seamus's croc's and he was now conveniently fast asleep in the stroller (which is so well worn that a homeless person would throw it out). The boys looked like they've spent the afternoon playing in the dirt, which of course they had. And the baby is babbling like a talk show host on my back - squawking loudly. So with MJ on my back and Finn asleep on my front, I begin shopping in the excessively narrow wine isles. The clerk, a squeaky clean looking college student, helps to ring me up and then offers to carry the bag to the car...."Um, thanks, that would be a big help, but I'm not in a car...." He loaded the booze into the back of my stroller and we all headed off - Finn vaguely awake now and eating a sucker that Seamus had gotten for him. About a mile from home, the basket carrying the wine collapsed out of the stroller (of course, mid street), and I had to unload the wine into my children's arms...just about two blocks from home, a neighbor I haven't seen in a while pulled up next to me to say hi..."Hi, yes, kids are getting big, lovely weather, get together soon, is that wine in the boys laps?" Yep. Classy. I'm really up for mother of the year...

The pictures are from MJ opening her birthday treats! Thanks Andie and Grandma!

4 comments:

Rachel A said...

That is a hilarious story, and much needed after making me cry in the Grandpa post. Love to you all.

Andie Dougherty said...

So glad you're back! I've been dying for an update but couldn't bring myself to give you a snarky comment since I've been so slack on my own blog. It's great to see new pictures of the kids, but next time we want pictures of them with the wine in their laps! Love you guys!

Renee Miller said...

Exactly what I'd expect of the "Mom, is there booze in this cake?" family.
Love you!

Sarah said...

So...you show us photos of MJ opening her gifts, but you never told us what she got from you! Please tell me you got her an exotic pet.