
So yesterday was a long day for me as a mom. There have not been too many days since the boys were born that I genuinely questioned if I could be a good parent. Teaching Seamus about listening and patience while dealing with a one year old made a for a head-banging, everyone-crabby day. And to top it off I spent the late afternoon and early evening at Nick and Erin's house where the kids basically click their heels, snap to attention and yell "Yes, Ma'am." the instant you ask them to do anything.
We had a babysitter coming so James and I could go out around 6 and James got home about 5:45. Those 15 minutes were noisy, hectic and a little crabby since the boys were tired and we wanted to have everything ready when the babysitter arrived. I did not take a nap and I didn't sleep all that well the night before so I was not that excited about going to a movie. Especially since I knew that the movie was not exactly light and funny. I promised the sitter we'd be home before 9:30, but as we left we said "Good luck, we'll see you when they're 18." I don't think she thought it was all that funny. Part of me felt guilty for leaving her with the boys and another - slightly larger - part of me wondered how far away I could get in three hours...
We had a quick dinner before the movie and talked about how challenging it is to stay on top of your kids about everything - manners, patience, LISTENING, etc. How do you know when you're really doing the right thing, because talking about, yelling about and damn near crying about these things with your kids all day gets a little long.
We go to see the movie, which, as expected, was fabulous except that EVERYONE dies a painful and horrible death. Seriously, it's a great movie, but everyone bites it at the end. Everyone.
We left the movie holding hands and talking about how good the acting was, what a wild story it was, etc. Basically, raving about what we enjoyed about it. As we pulled up in front of the house, I realize how relaxed and happy I was feeling. And I said to James "Nothing like two hours of blood and violence to really bring you back from a rough day..." What does that say about me as a parent? Lord help us.
But the best part - when we walked in, the babysitter also appears relaxed and happy. She is not a sitter who sugar coats her experience, if the boys are bad she is the first to let you know.
I was looking at her thinking - maybe she actually killed them. I asked the dreaded question: "How were they?" Cringe, pause. She answers. "Great." And then (honest to God) says - "Seamus is such a good listener."
Amen. Parenting is hard work, but sometimes the Lord smiles down on you to let you know you're doing just fine.
2 comments:
SIGH- I love to be reminded that I'm not the only one hitting my head against the wall all day. Why do we do this, again?
I know, I know. I need a gory movie, I guess!
Anne - what movie? PLEASE! I need to know- must try your suggested remedy :)
We all have days like this eh? Luckily, there's so many good ones to remind you that these rough ones do pass. Right? right???
p.s. jealous that you have a sitter + so much family around. Anyone interested in coming our way?
Post a Comment