I didn't know Mary or Chrissy well at all, but we had talked on the phone the day before and thought that maybe we'd try and meet up and start the race together. I typically don't like to run with other people, I find myself worrying about pace, but I thought it would be a fun idea to at least catch up at the starting line.
We headed over to the start and James and I said goodbye. The ladies and I meandered our way to the last corral and from that moment on I don't think we stopped talking until around mile 14. And even after mile 14 we still chatted quite a bit, but we were settling into the work at hand.
James crushed his Boston Marathon qualifying time by 5 minutes. My favorite part of the whole marathon was telling my running partner Therese as we were passing mile 16 that I bet James had finished the marathon already and I was guess he finished in 3:04.
I ran mile 16-19 on my own thinking about James and how grateful I was that we had decided to do this race. Around mile 20 Therese and I reconnected and we ran the last six together. I'll never forgot that experience of running those, hard, hard miles with someone else. The gift of getting to share the work as well as being with Therese as she did this for the very first time, it was beyond cool. We appreciated all the spectators, Laura brought the kids, Paula & Nancy, Carl & Meg, Renee and of course Bridget Ling.
Therese and I crossed the line exhausted, smiling, grateful and holding hands.
When we saw James, he told us that he qualified and I ask his time. Therese couldn't get over that I'd guessed right.
James ordered us burgers from the Blue Door and we had a beer and a rest in the afternoon. Poor Matt had to drive half way home that day - we tried to get him to spend the night but to no avail.
The next day Laura took Thomas and James and I did a little shopping and got massages. We were sore but not miserable - and we both felt uninjured so that was a relief. I don't know when or if we'll run another, but I am so grateful that we saw this through. I felt so ready to quit training when my dad had his Aneurysm, but looking back I feel as though the preparation helped me with the endurance that those few weeks required.
![]() |
| James almost killing the runner in front of him. |
![]() |
| Running toward a Boston Marathon qualifying time. |
![]() |
| Matt, James and I at the finish. |
![]() |
| Mary, Chrissy, Therese and I at the finish! |
![]() |
| Add caption |
![]() |
| Smiling at mile 22! |







No comments:
Post a Comment