As always there is so much to say, so much to be grateful for, so much
to tell you about your ONE YEAR OLD self. This was a funny birthday for
us - I had a hard time making decisions about what we should do -
largely because we had a busy weekend with so many fun options.
I have to be honest - our birthday this year was mostly about me. I can guess that in the future that may not be true, but this year it most definitely was the reality. We had a lovely lazy morning. Everyone was piled into our bed and MJ said quietly that she wished Grandpa Tom didn't have to die so we could all be together. This caught me a little off guard because Tom and I had shared lots of birthday celebrations over the years and it hit a tender spot. I don't know what made her think about him, but before I could answer her Seamus said "That's why we believe in God so we remember that we'll all be together." And it is the truth. Once a few months ago when I was explaining to MJ that Uncle Tom died before she was born and Grandpa Tom died after she was born, I said that our Thomas never met Grandpa Tom and Seamus interrupted me. "Well, I'm sure he did in heaven before he was born." So this is a funny truth for me this year - faith isn't always taught from parents to children, sometime its the other way around. I have found that I'm learning more from all of you than you are from me.
On to the day - we went to mass with Aunt Katie, enjoyed the surprise of donut Sunday (which was your first donut experience - it was a mess). Dad bought the adults black bean burgers from The Blue Door (my fav) and I got to watch the Vikings win while you napped.
Finny and I took a run. Aunt Julie gave me a cute new running top and I bullied Finn into biking with me. At about mile 2, I realized that Finn was being really quiet and I stopped him to make sure he was ok. He was freezing but he didn't want to complain because it was my birthday. I had to fight with him to take my hat to wear under his helmet and he didn't want my ears to be cold. There were lots of highlight of the day for me - but this was a special one. Dad also got me a new shuffle and preloaded it with my favorite music, podcast and especially at Springsteen playlist. He is so thoughtful, again, I am so lucky.
Aunt Mary took me to see Bruce Springsteen that night (see photos in the next post) - and I jumped, danced and sang like I was turning 17 (not 37). So special and fun.
So what can I tell you about your sunny, smilely self? You are a remarkably happy boy (no longer can I say baby). You are incredibly busy - always on the move - you often leave me breathless. You had your first haircut this week - I didn't want to do it - but it was starting to get snarly and hard to manage. You loved the haircut and flirted with the stylist.

Today, you're sick nursing a bad cold and a little fever. I took you to Target to get more Tylenol, and even under the weather you're still smiling at me.
You're standing on your own, saying a few words consistently (Mama, Dadda, Yep). You're a bit of a parrot and so we can get you to repeat words sometimes with good clarity. You said "grandma" last night clear as a bell.
You're crawling up the stairs - not down all that well still - and you're starting to think about walking. You can stand on your own (usually looking smug) for as long as you feel like - but you always drop to your knees when its time to move. You have a favorite blanket (Maureen Dougherty's mother knit it for you). And you sleep better than any of your siblings did at this age. On our birthday, you woke in the middle of the night, and I got to hold you and enjoy some quiet time alone with you. I said prayers as I rocked you - thanking God for my own life and for the precious gift that you are to all of us.
Last night Grandma and Grandpa had a birthday dinner for us and you got to sit in the same dining room where I celebrated my first birthday.
You are full of joy. Truly, joyful. I didn't make you this way - this is just how God sent you to us and I don't know what we did to deserve it. I'm having a hard time with this birthday - not because I'm getting older - but because you're growing and changing so fast that it makes me feel rushed. If I could bottle this time, I would. I suppose that's what I'm doing right now, desperately trying to preserve some of this emotion, some of this treasured bit of childhood. So in these words, I hope you will discover some truths about yourself - about the family that loves you.
Each of us treasures you in our own way. You've added something to our lives that we didn't know we needed - that we didn't know we were missing. You've helped us to come together as a family, because now with 6 members all doing and needing different things, we recognize that as a small child you are the most dependent on each of us. I think its helped make your siblings understand how important they are. They realize that we have responsibilities to each other that really matter, and that family connection, that responsibility is work, but it is also a privilege. We are lucky that you need us - because you give us so much more in return.
So, happy, happy birthday little man. You're the best present I could ask for. We love you so.









No comments:
Post a Comment