Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Happy Birthday, Seamus.

Happy, happy birthday, Buddy. What a year you are having!  Life is changing at a rapid pace right now.  I am so grateful for this journey with you.



When you were 8 you discovered that you are smart, I can see now that this year you are learning that you're a good athlete. You're swimming three days a week, playing soccer - and loving being so busy. Last year you still struggled to find stuff to do at recess  - you found ways to have fun and met a whole new crop of kids. But you didn't love joining in with the group sports on the playground.  There was something about it that made you nervous I think - but now you come home talking about wall-ball and kickball.  You're embracing being active because you see how much fun it can be. I am so glad you've discovered this - I think often that our temperaments are so similar - and I can say I was an adult before I truly felt excited about being a good athlete. Before I understood what we get when we work hard, practice and train.

You also seem so old - you still say the funniest things.  When Mrs. Krumm hurt her ankle you told me. "Poor Maureen, she's got a lot on her plate." You've always seemed like an old soul - but you've developed a great sense of humor about yourself too. 

You've got a new teacher this year - Mrs. Radosevic. And you love her.  She's young but she seems very organized and tough.  I can see that you're thriving in her classroom already. 

You asked for so little this year - a nice family dinner for your birthday.  SO dad came home early and we grilled steak.  You wanted to go to soccer so we all packed up and went.  You said you didn't want a cake - but wondered if we could go to Menchies, which we did after soccer. Grandma Brabara bought you a Kindle for your birthday and it was the present to end all presents!  You're already reading books downloaded from the library at an alarming pace - Tiger Rising was finished in the first night. 

Katie took you to see a play and had a sleep over - nothing you love more than Godmother time. Dad and I bought you walkie talkies - largely because you asked for them months ago - and you wanted them for you, Finn and MJ at the lake.  Seemed like just the right kind of gift. 

I am so excited for this year for you. There will be lots of new first, big changes and new trials.  But every year I see more and more the kind of wonderful person you are becoming - a good son, brother and friend.  We are proud of you and love you so much. Here's to being 9 - enjoy every minute!





1 comment:

jdoughe3 said...

Great one Mom, realy good one!
Seamus