Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Bloom Where You're Planted - People Edition

Seems like time for one of those posts. I'm ever in awe of how things are speeding along lately.  So here's a little bit for each of you. 

Mr. Thomas, you are on the verge of a whole new world. Somehow, just like Finny, it seems as though you were hardly a baby, it has all gone too fast.  You've got two small bottom teeth, you're crawling and babbling, and you are just so content. You're looking more and more like a blondie - eyes so incredible blue. You sleep most nights through the night, I've yet to have a bad night with you (knock on wood) where I couldn't get you back down to sleep easily if you did wake up. You smile ALL the time. I say 10 times a day, if every baby was as easy as this one, we'd all have 12.  

You have been such a treat for the kids - you've illuminated precious aspects of each of their personalities to them - they all feel a special kinship with you and even as a tiny baby you make them feel special.  I look to the summer and I think about how different this will be for me as a parent - you're crawling and eating everything you can get your hands on - so this will not be a summer for reading at the beach for me. I know how quickly it will pass so I look forward to long walks in the stroller when I need some peace, quiet naps in the afternoon and early nights back to our cabin - maybe more bonfires by the treehouse this summer.  You've proven to be such an adaptable baby - we can adapt a bit too. Love, love love.


Mr. Finn, kindergarten is coming to a close and you sailed right through. You love Mrs. Katzenmaier (almost as much as me) and I think you're excited about first grade.  You asked this morning if there was a first grade camp - and I said no, you'll just jump right in. You seemed fine with that idea.  We'll see in the fall. 

You're starting to read, we plan on spending lots of time enjoying words and books this summer. Having a baby who needs to be a bit more tied to the cabin will help us make good use of our reading time. 

Everything still seems so easy for you. You've been playing kickball with the 5th graders and seem to be friends with everyone - no matter the age or the grade.  You're all about trading cards right now - I love how easy it is for you to share and trade with the other kids. I expected some bickering as we work through this skill with groups of 6 year olds, but I never saw a problem.  

You're still the kid who plays hard, works hard and sleeps hard. You're so good with Thomas - patient and playful. Still best buds with both MJ and Seamus - ever the family bridge. Thank God for you, I love you so.


Mr. Seamus, 

This was such an important year for you. First reconciliation, first communion, first piano recital,  many important firsts. You've grown up so much - often you feel like an old soul to me. You are continually buried in a book - sometimes you're reading several books at a time - often you're rereading favorites.  I find you awake most morning already awake reading in bed. This month you've started Lord of the Rings and finished Enders Game. You've read the first of the Hunger Games books and are starting the second on my Kindle. I told you that this summer I thought we'd get a library card in Park Rapids and you almost knocked me over with a hug. "Just what I've always wanted," you said.

We've started jogging together a few evenings a week and we're planning on running together this summer - in hope eventually we can do a race together. This Spring you had some strange respiratory stuff where I had to bring you, my traditionally Teflon kid, in the the doctor twice.  We had you tested for asthma but you got a clean bill of health and so we just hope it doesn't happen again.

You're planning a trip around the world with several of your second grade buddies, always playing and inventing, full of creativity and confidence. I can't wait to see what you grow up to do - yesterday you said you wanted to be a Vet?  I'd never heard that before...

You're almost as excited about the cabin as me, you've got plans to build something in the water so you can practice flip turns. You are so excited about building forts, exploring the woods and swimming across the lake (we've had lot of discussion about flippers and life jackets). One way or another that will be something you get to do this year.

I love you so.


Little Miss MJ,

You're my little companion and I feel mixed about sending you off after the summer. I hope that you remember some small parts of this time - remember how much fun we have together - how we chat all day long - how we discuss dinner or the evening routine as we run errands during the day. 

I hope you remember this precious time with Thomas - the two of you will grow to be fast friends I'm sure of it. You're such a sweet caregiver - firm but patient and gentle. I know that will always be part of your soul. 

You've made good friends this year - especially Maia, Karenna, Nick and Ian. You liked preschool even more this year than last - eager to go, always enthusiastic. I'm listening to you singing the "my friends are your friends" song in the other room right now. But kindergarten is just what you need next - so the timing is just right. You love tea parties, playing dolls, running, skipping, legos, coloring (and coloring and coloring). 

I'm going to take lots of pictures this summer - I so want to seal this time in my heart. I am so grateful for you all.




No comments: