![]() |
| Quiet moments of the divine. |
There has been an article circling around Facebook among my parent friends about the difficulties of parenting and the frustration when older people tell you to "Seize the day and enjoy these young moments". It clearly resonates with most moms and it is a lovely piece, but I also read an article titled "To the mother of only one child" today. This is a piece from that article that really hit home with me:
"I’m broken in. There’s no collision of worlds. We’re so darn busy that it’s a sheer delight to take some time to wash some small child’s small limbs in a quiet bath, or to read The Story of Ferdinand one more time. Taking care of them is easy. It’s tiring, it’s frustrating, but when I stop and take a breath, I see that it’s almost like a charade of work. All these things, the dishes, the diapers, the spills—they must be taken care of, but they don’t matter. They aren’t who I am.
To become a mother, I had to learn how to care about someone more than I did about myself, and that was terrible. But who I am now is something more terrible: the protector who can’t always protect; the one with arms that are designed to hold, always having to let go.
Dear mother of only one child, don’t blame yourself for thinking that your life is hard. You’re suffering now because you’re turning into a new woman, a woman who is never allowed to be alone. For what? Only so that you can become strong enough to be a woman who will be left.
When I had only one child, she was so heavy. Now I can see that children are as light as air. They float past you, nudging against you like balloons as they ascend."
![]() |
| Best friends. |
Seamus, you're starting 2012 with your typical bright eyes. Swimming is already fun and I think this will be a big year for you to grow and improve. You made your first reconciliation last week and it was a wonderful, special night. You were excited and nervous, but afterward you even seemed taller. You asked me at the cabin when we could go again and I said as soon as you want, so we're going to try and go to mass and confession some morning next week. Forgiveness is such a unique thing - it is wonderful to see you discover how good it feels to forgive and be forgiven. Remember that always.
Finn, this year is full of exciting firsts and so far your enjoying them all. You were nervous about swim team, but apparently that was all gone the moment you got in the pool. You're loving it and I guess I'm surprised that you shook off your fears so quickly. You are always my surprising child. You are also so full of love right now - so many times in the last few days you've hugged me almost to death. Your big, brown eyes are so expressive. I see love in you so often - and it fills me up.
![]() |
| Recovering from the Flu - but still her perky self. |
Mr. Thomas, we now think you are going to be another blue eyed boy. But in the last few days, I can see that you look just like yourself. A little like each of the other kids, but now you are emerging as your own little man. You are my dream come true this year. And somehow parenting a fourth time is new and fresh. You will benefit from our experience as a family, we get better at loving each other every year, and now because of you we are filled with the kind of quiet love that only a new baby can bring to a home. All five of us are so excited to be with you on this ride.
James, this has been an interesting start to the year. Last year we wished so much for a baby and now here we are with Thomas. I don't know what it is exactly that we're wishing for this year - maybe just more of the same family goodness we already have. Work has been trying for you lately. Now that Dana is gone you seem to be wondering how to find your stride. I know that you'll find it and settle in - but until then maybe we should take Bruce's advice: Pray, save for college and don't sweat the small stuff. It's good advice all around.
This year I want to run a race faster than I have in the past. I want to be a better friend than I have in the past. I want to grow TBPP a little (but not too much). I want to go on more dates with my husband. I want to make lots of memories to be nostalgic about from my rocking chair. I want to spend time with my parents and be good to my siblings. I want so many things, but mostly I want to be present in my life, to live deliberately, and to be grateful for everything.
![]() |
| Paula, always the warmest dressed in the group! |







1 comment:
Post a Comment