Friday, June 25, 2010

They Say It's Your Birthday

Morning, Love.

Today you are 34 years old (now you don't have to call me from work to ask how old you are when you're registering for athletic events). It has been a big, wonderful year for you (and us). Kids are in a pretty uncomplicated stage, healthy, happy and changing all the time. Seamus is reading, Finn is racing and MJ is talking (and talking and talking and talking).





You've started to step into the father as coach roll with swimming and soccer - you're not only good with the kids but I think you're really enjoying it all too. Swim team was a big milestone for you as a father - watching Seamus receive the "Fun" award and knowing that part of the fun for him was getting to spend this special time with his dad, was a pretty precious moment. You are doing such good work with the kids. They are so excited to celebrate you today. Wait until to you see the ax...








Race Day for Finny

This year your ran your first marathon and qualified for Boston (I'm so excited to cheer you on in April). You truly are in the best shape of your life - even better than the army years in college. It's fun to see you aging so well (you're awfully good looking - boy did I luck out). Exercise has played a big roll in our lives this year and I can see that reflected in so many good ways through out the family. Everyone wants to get in on the action because you make it all look so fun. I also have to admit that its been so good for our marriage - I'll never forget crossing the finish line and crying together in Sacramento. It was so cool to have done this together (ok, maybe not together, since I cannot run yet at a scorching pace). But you know what I mean.

This was the year I started The Big Picture Project and you'll win husband of the year for all your support. I know that at times this has been a challenging transition, but I cannot express how grateful I am for you help making everything work. I couldn't be doing this if you weren't 100% on board - you've picked up all of the slack that I've been dropping (and I know that it hasn't always been easy). But because of all this hard work, we're making a real impact for families who are struggling with Dementia. You are doing such a good job your doing teaching our boys how to be good husbands and partners.

(The Real Estate Photos)

And the most recent milestone, of course, is the cabin. What an adventure we've undertaken! I have a hard time finding the words to express my joy and gratitude in this whole process. We've already seen the rewards - a place to escape and enjoy our little family. Working and learning skills together (I never knew that docks could offer such a bonding experience).




(Putting in an offer we never thought would be accepted)













Your willingness to jump in and be a part of my crazy family space means so much to more than just me. My siblings and parents truly stand in awe of your ability to jump right into the action (and have fun). The cabin has always had special place in my heart and I feel so fortunate that you've made space for it in our lives.

I've been proud of us many times in our marriage, but never in quite the same way as I was the day we put the offer on Lind's. Something about being hopeful and fearless, feeling so committed to each other and to the future for our kids, it filled me with a new kind of peace. I remember thinking that eventually we'd get the place (and praying that I'd be OK letting it go if we couldn't), but never in a million years did I think we'd get it on the first crazy try. I loved that we got the phone call from Issy while we were with Carla - seemed to be such a wonderful circle in our lives. I love that we're able to share this experience with Goughs - I love that your natural tendency is to share - you set such a perfect tone for how we want to see the lake.

As long as I live (and I hope it is a long time) I'll never forget sitting together on the rickety old dock, watching the kids play under the setting sun. My hands hurt, my feet hurt, I was covered in cuts and bug bites and I've never been so happy. Thank you for sharing this life with me - thank you for your continued faith in me and us. I know it sounds trite, but it couldn't be more true, thank you for making all my dreams really come true.

Happy birthday, Love. Here's to making every year good, every year matter and every year a bit more grateful. We're going to have a great weekend!



































The Doughertys Moved In




































































































































4 comments:

jdoughe3 said...

I love my family - Best birthday ever so far!

I should get breakfast in bed and tools every morning!

Scott H. said...

What is this birthday business. No one asked me if it is was OK to celebrate without me. I am in tears.

Happy (Belated) Birthday Good Lookin'. You not only mean a great deal to your family, but to your friends as well.

Sarah said...

Happy birthday, James. Congrats on the lake place - I'm so happy for all of you.

Beautiful post, Annie.

Love to all -
Sarah

clarkdougherty said...

Happy Birthday!
Love,
Maureen, John, Megan and Kate