So today is my mother's (DELETED)th birthday - she'd kill me if I told people that she's not really 50. She is only slightly older. Katie, Finn, MJ (the minor) and I went over to see her this morning and unfortunately I did not take any pictures - but I do have a good one from the night that MJ was born.
My mom is really something. I suppose that my mom is A LOT of things (some things not necessarily fit for printing on a family blog)...:) But I had some more appropriate thoughts I wanted to share in honor of Mean Mary Jeanne as she likes to be called...
So on April 24th, James and I knew that we'd be going to the hospital to have our third child. We didn't know if it was going to be a boy or a girl. We had planned that if it was another boy we'd name it after James's brother, Thomas. But as for a little girl, we hadn't decided or agreed on a girl's name. We both really liked Eve (seemed catchy for a first born girl in a family of boys). My mom was pushing for Ellen. I've always loved Helen. We also liked Mary Jane a lot. But truth be told, I was pretty sure it was a boy.
So that morning, James called the hospital at 6:00 AM to see if there was room for us, and we got the word to come in. I took a leisurely shower and started to prepare myself for the big day.
And a thought came over me as I was getting ready - that there was a reasonable possibility that I may not only BE a daughter that day, but that I could HAVE a daughter too. And I felt warmed and comforted by the idea. I love being a daughter. I love the relationship I have now with my mother. I hoped that if we did have a girl that she'd have as much joy in her life as I have had in mine. And selfishly I hoped, she'd like to talk on the phone as much to her mother as I do to mine.
And so you know how this all turns out. Mary Jeanne (the minor) was born later that day. She gave us an easy arrival - although I have to admit that when I realized that we'd had a little girl I was completely shocked. And it took a few minutes to really wash over me. But it seemed right to name her after the woman who has had the biggest impact on me (as if giving birth to me wasn't enough)...
I admire my mother on lots of levels and although we are not exactly the same (just give it time...) so many of the qualities that I count as strengths come from watching (and enduring) my mother's own strength and will. I got up in front of a crowd on Saturday night at Winefest and spoke to more than 800 people without notes - my mother wouldn't necessarily have loved doing this herself - but the reason that I could do it without much worry or preparation was because she instilled in me a wicked sense of self confidence and also the ability to talk (and talk and talk and talk).
In my brief talk I was honoring my sister Peggy for her work with the University of Minnesota on behalf of her son Jimmy. Now the fact that Peg was chairing this enormous event was also a reflection on our mother - who made a career out of organizing programs, events and committees for the betterment of her community. My whole family attended the evening to support Reagan's - another attribute we got from my mother - hell or high water, doesn't matter, if it's about family, get your butt home. So watching my siblings dancing and laughing and celebrating Peg (and each other), made me so proud of my family. And proud of the matriarch (who was dragging the CEO of UCare around introducing her to all of the kids). Few people know how to have fun or be happy like my mom.
So when I think about simple joys I have in my life, I am grateful for so many things. Having coffee with my mom in the morning when I stop over unexpectedly. Cocktailing on the pontoon and going to see "her lake", "her loons", "her trumpeter swans". Knowing that there are some times when I'm upset or anxious and there is no comfort like my mother's reassurance. Or no pride like when I know how happy she is for me or my family.
Happy Birthday, Mom. I hope to have your kind of happiness for me and for my little girl.
1 comment:
What a wonderful tribute to your mom! Winefest looks like a blast - what a beautiful family you have! And I love love love Katie's hair! Thanks again for letting us share in this exciting time in your lives. Love and hugs to you all.
Post a Comment