

It's amazing to me that three years ago today, we were in a hospital delivering Seamus into the world. I've been trying to figure out how to upload a little 4 minute clip I put together of Seamus's first 72 hours - tech support will be home around 6 to help - so check back later and hopefully we'll have it opperational.
Seamus, Seamus, Seamus (or Batman as he now likes to be called). When I have a few minutes to think about how quickly babies become toddlers and toddlers become preschoolers, I am absolutely amazed at how fast these kids develop. In three years, Seamus went from 8 pounds and no tricks to a lively boy who can get his own snacks, use the bathroom, do chores, tell me what he wants (and doesn't), what he likes (and doesn't), and how he feels about just about everything. Maybe it doesn't sound like such a miracle, but Lord, it is. Maybe it's because they're your own and you held them before they hardly were able to open their eyes, or maybe it's because some days seem like a lifetime when kids are sick or crabby, but I think mostly it's because you don't want to miss a second and you know that you don't ever get to go back and hold the newborn baby, or the one year old, or the three year old. We only have the moment we're in and it's over in a blink.


Well, Seamus (or Shea-Buddy another favorite nickname), what can I tell you about your three year old self? In the mornings, you crawl in bed with Dad and I, and sleep a little, sing alittle, and usually let us know when it's time for cereal. You are great at giving vitamins (huge hugs and kisses) that fill us up in the morning. You love going in to say good morning to Finn (some times before Mom is ready to get Finn up), but I've learned to let it go because I know that Finn loves seeing you first thing in the morning too.
You say the funniest things to us. For example when you're really having fun with something or enjoying a food a lot, you often ask if you can "save some for later". You tell dad and I all the time that "you're my best dad/mom". That always makes us feel good. Some times I hear you telling Finny stories "Once upon a time..." Another thing I love hearing, is when you tell Finn that "I so proud of you Finny" when he walks or does something new. It makes me proud of you.

You're taking a music class that you LOVE. You sing a lot - let's hope you get your musical ability more from the Dougherty's than the Schneeman's. Every time we drive by the building where your class is, you say "there's music class, I go Tuesday!"
You are very into saying prayers before meals and at bedtime, which is lovely, but true to your heritage, you are a little long winded and virtually no one gets left out (even before lunch when its just the three of us). Your new Dougherty cousin is going to be the best prayed for baby in all the world.
You're energetic, compasionate, curious (like George), sometimes you're silly, sometimes you're sad, sometimes you're mad; but all of the time, you are ours, our loving, wonderful Seamus, and we wouldn't be a family without you. Happy Birthday to our big boy, every day you remind us how blessed we are. We love you so. XOXOXO
No comments:
Post a Comment