Oh, Mr. Finny! What a wonderful year for you! The day started with the traditional breakfast in bed (albeit mom and dad's bed) and the family present! If that was all that happened today - it would have been enough - your joy is palpable and it is certainly contagious.
What can I tell you about your 7 year old self? First and foremost, this is the summer of the big boy cousins. Actually the summer of cousins in general. You delight in the opportunity to be with your extended family - and it makes me feel so grateful for the lake. Nicky Waldvogel offered to take you fishing one night and in your excitement you actually started to weep. You are so full of big emotions - it is fun to see you well up with joy.
You have a long memory. Things sink into you. Often you'll ask me about a conversation you overheard days or weeks before - I can tell that you mull things over a lot. Your dad and I think that you might turn into a runner - you have a need for quiet time, for exercise and a love of setting goals. I can't tell you how much we enjoy watching your personality unfold.
You love being a brother. I can't tell you which sibling you're closest to right now - you find a role with everyone that you seem to treasure. Seamus is your buddy - your confidant - your partner is crime. But just as often as I see you two dashing off to build bow and arrows, I find you setting up forts with MJ or building castles in the sand. Especially as Seamus tends to disappear into a book for hours at a time - you and MJ have found your own story. And Thomas, well, you love to sit and play with him. You ask me almost every morning or at nap time when we can hear that he is finally awake, if you can go in and play with him. It buys be a few more minutes to finish up whatever I'm doing and I love listening to you talk to him. You're gentle and funny and I love hearing the two of you giggle.
This is a special birthday because you are in a special, wonderful place. I can see a whole life of possibilities before you and I am so delighted to be able to watch you find a path. Everything is interesting and exciting to you right now. I hope that you keep that enthusiasm and charisma. If I could I would bottle this energy for you and re-gift it to you as you get older - life is so precious. We have so many blessings, so many gifts and talents from God, your job is to find out where all these gifts and talents are going to take you and to make the most of every wonderful opportunity.
You are a light in our lives. We are so grateful that you've been entrusted to us. Happy Birthday, Mr. Finn. We love you so.
More photos to follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment