Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Day In The Life

Spring has arrived this year way ahead of schedule - and in an odd turn of events - its making me feel a bit rushed. So I wanted to slow down take a few minutes to tell you about life right now.

Mom and dad just returned from a quick get-a-way to Florida to visit Grandma and Grandpa Schneeman. It was the last year they'll be able to rent their favorite condo in Naples (it was sold) and so we soaked up the sun, reading, visiting and running barefoot on the beach.  Thomas joined us and for the most part participated happily in the vacation - but he did have a bout of fussing one night that reminded us that parenting is always unexpected. Seamus, Finn and MJ stayed with Nick and Erin and enjoyed the treat of having their own vacation away from Mom and Dad. You all tried new foods, slept in different kinds of beds and discovered that it is fun to be away from home (as long as you know you eventually get to go back home). Finn said he had a great time, but that maybe he should be a bit older next time. I told him that the next time he went on vacation he would surely be older.

Thomas is more than 4 months old and last night was his first night in the small bedroom - up until now he's been in a bassinet (borrowed from Nick and Erin) in our bedroom.  And each night he eventually makes his way into our bed. I decided a few days ago that it was time to start working towards a bit more sleep for us all, but as I nursed him before bed a strange panic washed over me. I'm not ready for him (you) to be growing up as fast as you are.  Dad laughed at my concern  - because really he's not moving more than 25 feet away. But with kisses on your head, you went to bed in the borrowed Winsor portacrib and woke up a few hour later on your stomach and at the other end of the crib. In the quiet of the night I couldn't help but think that you must have been feeling cooped up in the bassinet with no room to move around.  Besides rolling over (both ways) you're laughing and smiling all day long. I've loved each baby this much, but I think this time around I am more aware of how brief and precious this time is.  MJ and I spend a lot of time singing and talking to you during the day - I hope we're not spoiling you with all the attention - but I don't think either of us could change our ways - she loves this time as much as me. 
  • I love:
    • kissing you, 
    • your wide, wide infectious smile,
    • that you still smell like a sweet baby, 
    • tickling your feet and tummy,
    • watching you splash on your back in the tub (the kids yell "swim team" as you flail about)
    • holding you against me in the sling (best 4th child investment ever)
    • running in the new stroller (ok, maybe this is the best 4th child investment ever) as I can hear you cooing
    • waking up every day to see what you look like - it seems to change each night
    • that God gave you to us to watch over.
MJ, I was thinking last night before bed that you feel like a companion to me already. I wonder if this is how my own mother felt about me at this age. Sometimes you seem older than 4 (almost 5!) We do pretty much everything together, our temperaments compliment each other nicely. We go to the grocery store, run errands, visit the nursing home, when I'm working at home you play nicely and keep yourself entertained with dolls or drawing.  You're working hard on letters, words and sounds.  Danielle started spending time with you helping you find the sounds that are harder for you to make.  She tells me how "teachable" you are all the time - you're a good listener and a hard worker.  You seem to have very little worry - you roll with everything like you're in charge. 

Yesterday I was tired and after reading stories in the sun room (All the Mouse A Cookie Books) Thomas woke up and I sighed a bit as I was hoping to take a 15 minute nap before the boys came home. I went into the guest room and laid down to nurse Thomas, you came and rubbed my hands and soft touched my face and eventually you rested down next to us and I rubbed your back. All three of us drifted off for about 20 minutes and when I woke you up to go get the big boys, you smiled, told me "that felt great" and "I love you so much." All smiles, no sleepy whining, we loaded up the new stroller and walk towards school. I wish I could bottle how I felt. Maybe a little overwhelmed with how fortunate I am as a woman and a mother. 

Finnypie, waking up each morning seems hardest for you.  I sometimes think that's because you spend each day diving into whatever activity the day holds with such determination and focus that it must tire you out. You love school. You're doing so well - a good student and a good listener.  Mrs. Katzenmaier has nothing but great things to say about how you're doing.  I don't know what it is about you, but right now it seems that everything is easy for you - I'm not sure if that's because you work so hard or if its just the time of life (it won't always be true).  But you went from being afraid of swimming to swimming with the older kids and having some of the faster times for the 2&U groups. You are all about sports right now. 

You love basketball, football and soccer. Uncle Jimmy got you playing basketball in Mendota Heights for a few weekend and you loved it (Seamus did too - but mostly because you seemed so thrilled). You play wall ball at school and are rarely without your baseball mitt. You just seem naturally driven right now - we don't have to encourage you to do much anymore - you have all the initiative yourself.  But besides all of this, I still see how sensitive you are - you worry a bit more than the other kids. You were afraid of sleeping on the top bunk at Nick and Erin's because it didn't have a railing, you missed having a nightlight,  When you got home you didn't complain, but you did tell me that you'll do better when you're 7. I'm sure you will. I stop at the playground during recess after I drop MJ at school just to get a hug and kiss. You fill me up with love - there is a largeness about how you love that I hope you keep forever.

Seamus, 2nd grade is coming to a close, you're preparing for first communion and you seem to get taller every day. You're learning so much and in watching you grow, so do I.  This year I learned a practical parenting lesson - I learned that you have to respectfully advocate for your kids. We suspected that at the beginning of the year you were readying above grade level, but the teacher (whom we all like) didn't seem to see it. When you weren't selected for the advanced reading group you were disappointed but just said you must not be an advanced reader.  Dad and I asked twice to have you tested and turns out, you were reading at a 5th grade level. You joined the group and identified yourself as a smart kid. I can't say if it makes any difference, but after all your hard work last summer, wanting to transition to independent reading (especially since baby number 4 was on the way and my time was going to be even more stretched), I am so glad you felt rewarded. 

Swimming this year has gone from just being a fun team sport to something you want to excel at. You're  swimming the 25 butterfly, the 50 free and the 100 IM among other events. I feel like these events show how magnanimous you are i.e. "Sure, Coach, I can do that!" as well as how tough you are. The last meet you swam 7 events including these three hard ones and took 8 seconds off your IM time. Dad said you didn't even seem tired - just happy.  The other second grader who swims the IM has become your good buddy and after every event the two of you slap hands and hug. I love this celebration of teamwork. No one taught you to do this - its just who you are.

Dad and I turned in a variance application for a new deck at the lake. We don't know if we'll get it, but its been fun to think about this summer and all the summers in front of us. We love to dream, daddy and I, we love to think about how our lives are constantly changing, but we never lose sight of how grateful we are for this moment, all these wonderful moments.

Tulips are almost in bloom in the yard, we've spent hours and hours outside this week, and I can almost taste Bottle Lake. Often you hear how challenging raising kids is - and no doubt it is - but also it feels like a whirlwind, a joyful, beautiful whirlwind. And I am so grateful for it all.

1 comment:

Brig and Jer said...

I had to check in on you after chatting after school the other day. Your entries always make me cry...so often you echo my same feelings, words, sentiments. You have a beautiful family, and your love and gratitude for the role of mother is something I love about you and share with you. Glad to be sharing this journey with you!