Sunday, September 25, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mr Seamus.


Seamus, 8 year old you is a wonderful kid, and with each birthday we become more grateful for the kind of person you are becoming.

Turning 8 marked a lot of changes for you - no more car seat, 2 grade and the sacraments, becoming a big brother yet again. This is a big year of transitions for you - for us all. As I've said before, you're firsts are our firsts and that makes this year (with a very pregnant and hormonal mom) an exciting one for us all.

Here's what I can tell you about your 8 year old self. You're growing and changing intellectually in leaps and bounds. Every teacher tells parents that this will happen - but it is wild to watch. Reading, math, everything is getting easier for you. Concepts that didn't click in first grade seem simple now. You've always been a good student - but I can see that now you're identifying yourself as a smart kids and that is fun to watch.

You are a reader. When you get home from school often you go strait upstairs to get your book and you'll read until I make you come down. If I can't find you (usually when something needs to be cleaned up) I can almost guarantee that you've found a quiet spot (by the fire in the living room, in the small reading chair in the basement, under your covers upstairs) to "quick just finish" a book that you're excited about. It seems to me that you are almost always "one chapter" from the end of some compelling story.

You are a great big brother. My favorite part of parenting is seeing you kids together. You are already a great role model, a loving supporter, and a good friend to your siblings. You're patient, you're willing to help with retrieving toys or spelling words or including in the game. Finn and MJ do look up to you - 8 years old seems so big to a 4 and 6 year old. Gym has gotten you excited about exercise and so you've taken to running around the block sometimes - you diligently completed the month of Presidential Physical Fitness. It's funny to see you lace up your shoes and holler "I'm going for a little run."

You're testing boundaries a bit too. You like to be in charge, you like to be with the adults and listen in on the adult conversation, you want everyone to know that you're getting older. I think 8 years old is a time for you when you have some history to look back on and it seems like quite a bit of experience. I imagine you'll see past this plateau pretty soon and that will be interesting too.

You are so sensitive. You love school, but have had some challenges figuring out how to navigate recess each day. Most days everything goes smoothly but you've had a few days where you couldn't figure out what to do. One of my favorite aspects of your personality is how you deal with stuff like this. Quietly before bed you asked if I could come in and talk with you. Finn and MJ were asleep you knew that I was getting ready for bed. You told me that you had a hard day finding someone to play with a recess. Your favorite friends were playing 4 square and there wasn't room for you, some of the other kids were playing a game that you didn't like and no one wanted to play what you had in mind. You were a little sad (and overtired) but we talked through what to do when friends don't want to play what you want to play, about how to be flexible and open minded. You didn't think anyone was being mean, or trying to leave you out, you just felt sort of awkward wandering around the playground trying to figure out what to do next. I suggested to talk to a few friends - in particular Jack Krumm - about recess in the morning so you can have a plan for when the bell rings. You thought that was a great idea and promptly rolled over, said thank you, I love you and good night. It was a satisfying moment of me as a mom - I know someday that you'll have worries and problems that I can't solve with a simple suggestion - so I'm enjoying this time while I can.

Honey, this is not the last time you're going to have this experience. It happens to adults all the time. Auntie Sarah and I had a talk about it this week. Our place in the world, in our communities and our families is always changing. Just remember that its up to you to find where you fit best.

After our bedtime discussion, I got into bed and told dad about your predicament. And he said "It's like my childhood all over again." And smiled. You and dad have a lot in common. You both are big hearted guys who aren't afraid or embarrassed to cry. You feel things very deeply. You pay attention to the people around you and are very in tune to how everyone is feeling. You are good listeners. You love to read because you have big minds and imaginations. You hold yourself to high standards. You like to be in charge - and you're good at it. Being liked is important to you - and you work hard at friendships. If ever there was a man to emulate, you're dad is that man. So I think you're on a very good track.

Soon you're going to be a big brother again, and for right now you are SO excited. It makes the whole experience even better for me because you are all eager, enthusiastic and supportive. You've set a great tone for the rest of the kids - no one is worried or nervous - everyone is just filled with joy at the prospect of this new, wonderful baby. You love to feel the baby move, you read to it a few times this summer, you tell EVERYONE that we're having another baby. You are most excited about being an 8th grader when the baby is in kindergarten - right now that seems like the coolest thing ever.

I love you so much - this year is going to be a special one for us. I wish I could bottle you up - your joy, energy, compassion and your wonderful, wonderful smile. I am so thankful that God gave you to us - 8 year old Seamus is a wonderful gift.

Happy, Happy Birthday.

2 comments:

Rachel A said...

When you publish your book 'letters and thoughts to my kids', I would like a copy, as a guide for myself. I am continuously amazed by you! xoxo

Sarah said...

I love you, Seamus Dougherty.