Mr. Finn! Happy 6th birthday! It's been quite a wonderful few weeks for you. We just finished a long, lovely vacation with Grandma Barbara at the lake and we celebrated your birthday for three days strait. On Friday night we asked you over dinner what you'd like to eat for your birthday meal. You had to think about it for a minute and said: "How about this same meal?" I'd made pork tenderloin, beets, broccoli and bread. This says two interesting things about you: one is that you are so easy going about some things, the second is that you want everyone to be happy. I think the reason that you suggested that meal was because dad and Grandma kept talking about how good it was and you wanted them to enjoy your birthday dinner. I reminded you that you had wanted a fish fry and you said that leftovers were just fine. Dad made a special effort to make sure you got fish AND leftovers.
On Saturday we had a family party at the cabin with Uncle Nick, Aunt Julie, Aunt Mary, Katie, Liz, Grandma Barbara, Grandma & Grandpa Schneeman and many of your cousins. Dad made you breakfast in bed since he had to go to work on Monday. You went fishing on the dock with Uncle Nick and got to nap in the RV. I ordered you a fisherman's cake (I cried when I picked it up because it was so perfect - and also my hormones are totally out of whack). Grandma Barbara gave you a wallet from Grandpa Tom and secret service pin. You told dad that you'd share it with him since it would be special to both of you. Sigh, heart melt.
Mom and dad sort of splurged and got you two gifts - some fake bait for fishing and a set of practice golf balls since you've gotten into golf lately. Next weekend Aunt Julie is going to take you on a date and you're already planning for it.
Tonight we brought dinner up to Bob and Paula's and had a great meal with the Winsor's. Paula made you chocolate cake and we watched the Tour de France recap - much to Liz and Grandma's delight:) You got the same lego car from both Liz and Winsors and I think you've decided you want to keep them both - I love that about you. When I asked about food for tonight - you looked at me like: "Enough with all this food stuff already!" but you thought for a few minutes and Seamus suggested Mac and Cheese and you said that sounded good. You also wanted chicken and then you said "And some salad too." I asked if you liked salad and you said: "Well everyone else does, so we should have salad too." You are a unique 6 year old, buddy.
Grandma also gave you a scooter today - and you were loving and sharing it all afternoon. You don't know this yet but Andie sent you one also and I think you'll be delighted at the chance to share it with Seamus.
It's been a big year for you this year. You're changing and growing constantly - now a more adventurous swimmer and less nervous about a lot of things. But you still aren't a reckless kid - you're thoughtful and careful and that makes everything easier for me as a mom.
We've loved the lake in a special, wonderful way this year. Everyone is pretty independent and helpful (you moved rocks for firepit and helped dig out the retaining wall by the garage). We do some jobs in the morning, have lunch and then play on the beach in the afternoon. Life couldn't be better. You're reveling in having Aunt Julie next door - this has been a fun, special addition to summer. Starting the summer with a long visit from Grandma, spending so much time with the big boy cousins (Joe, Nick & Tommy) has all amounted to being in heaven. You seem to be happy all the time.
Here is what I know. You are a big hearted kid. You are uniquely introspective and thoughtful for a little boy. You love, love. You have the ability to melt just about everyone you know. You are grateful. You don't forget things that people say. You take things very personally. Lots of things seem to come easily to you, but yet you still work so hard. For example, everyone remarks that you are a natural athlete. You are incredibly teachable - which means that when people show you how to do something you are meticulous about paying attention and following directions. I'm thinking about Phil showing you dance moves during the Pig Roast and Dance this year. Grandpa talking to you about swim strokes. Seamus teaching you card games. You love praise and you are so eager to please.
I want the world for you. I love you as big as the sun. I am so excited for you to start kindergarten in the fall, but I already know that I'll miss you. This is going to be a big year for all of us, and so every night when you wrap your arms around my neck before bed, we hold on a bit longer, squeeze a little tighter because everything is precious. You are precious.
Happy Birthday, Buddy. We love you.




No comments:
Post a Comment