Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mary Jeanne

Happy Easter, Happy Birthday! It was a HUGE day for Mary Jeanne. 4 years old - somehow I still can't wrap my arms around it. According to the Farmer's Almanac, the last time Easter was celebrated on April 24 was in 1859 -- and it won't fall on that date again until 2095. So MJ, I wish for you a healthy, long life so you can celebrate this way again, because it was a wonderful, happy day.

The day began when Seamus woke me to up ask if it was time to make you breakfast in bed. I had actually forgotten about this tradition and so we went downstairs and Seamus got everything ready.

He waited patiently for you (and Finn) to wake up so he could sing happy birthday and read you a birthday story. This was one of my favorite parts of the day - nothing makes me happier than watching you kids enjoy, support, celebrate and love each other. I felt like I got the best gift of the day.


Another wonderful part of the day was getting to celebrate with Grandma Barbara. Over the last few months, you kept telling me that grandma was coming to visit for your birthday and I kept saying - "I'm not sure sweetie, I think she's coming for Easter instead." It took me a long time to realize that your birthday was actually on Easter this year - you were so relieved when I told you that in fact you were right - Grandma IS coming for your birthday. You love grandma Barbara so much - this might have been the highlight of the day for you.

The day was filled with sunshine, smiles, Barbies, Wonder Woman, Easter candy, new bright colored outfits and lots of love.

What can I tell you about your 4 year old self? You are light, life and energy. Full of love and affection - full of fun and laughter. Dad and I talk all the time about how much fun we are having watching you and your brothers grow - we feel like we're basking in the light of a very precious time. Your tougher edges have soften a bit, you're more a team player (instead of little dictator) with your brothers. You seem to understand now in a very real way that you are indeed a very lucky girl. Chris and Cathy invited us to dinner on Friday night and you sat at the head of the table coloring relatively quietly, just enjoying and taking in all the commotion around you. You are a very content little girl, happy to play on your own or with your brothers, you just seem to roll with the reality of whatever the circumstances are.






























You're not as scared of things like the dark and being upstairs alone - you seem to be realizing that you're actually as tough as you like everyone to believe. You love school and had your first real play date a few weeks ago. It was so fun to see you shepherding the other two girls around (Finn was also the perfect gentlemen to the girls). Some days I look at you and want to cry because your childhood seems to be moving too fast - and other days I laugh out loud at the lovely little person you are becoming. You've become a much more gentle person both literally and figuratively. And it isn't that you've become a wall flower, its just that now you seem to be comfortable sharing the spotlight, in fact it appears you've discovered that collaboration can be even more fun that running the show on your own. I think this is a good lesson - we learn as adults that there is a time for both.

































































I tell you almost every day that I am so grateful God gave you to me, in fact I don't know what we would have done without you. You came into our lives when we needed sunshine and laughter and you've done nothing but fulfill that promise. As a baby you renewed our faith and as you've grown you've continued to show us how God works with little hands and little voices. Happy Birthday, Lovey. We are so glad to have you!

3 comments:

The Wills Family said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, MJ. Sending birthday blessings and hugs. Love, The Wills Family.

Ali said...

oh my goodness, who gave her the wonder woman costume? that is genius. & i am very jealous.

margo said...

I had Wonder Woman Funderoos when I was MJ's age. Thank goodness the internet didn't exist back then.

Happy birthday, MJ!