Anne and I completed our first marathon! Oddly enough - we enjoyed it! I'd strongly recommend running 26.2 miles, then spending great time with wonderful friends, all while drinking and eating good food/drink as a wonderful date weekend for anyone.
It was emotional for both of us. One - the feeling of personal accomplishment was great. We had both been happily surprised into the decision to run and a little interested to see what our bodies were capable of. Crossing the finish line was validating - it proved we could do it. Now, Anne had already birthed our three beautiful kiddies - so she's already physically accomplished. But, for me, this was clearly my pinnacle (so far).
Two - That we ran this race as a team left both of us feeling so connected. I have to admit, I was surprised. Since we run at different paces and Anne would rather stab herself in the eye with a fork than listen to me talk for 26.2 miles; we ran separately. But seeing her cross the finish line and leaping some sort of guardrails to hug and kiss her - it became very clear that we accomplished this TOGETHER. I love you, Anne - and I am so proud of us both!
Here's a picture of us - many glasses of champagne post race -
Many thanks to Charlie and Andrea for hosting us - they have a wonderful future as race concierges (examples - I ate out of a real cereal bowl in my hotel room! And champagne was waiting for me after!) Unfortunately, the one skill where they are lacking is photography - although Andrea excels at carrying around a camera and taking very few pictures. Still - Vazacs - we love you!
4 comments:
Congrats! You guys are too cute. I wouldn't have doubted for a second that you could do it. Call me for the next one! I'll have to run with Anne as Rob would rather stab himself in the eye than even think about running that much! :)
James and Anne, you guys are both pretty awesome in my book! Well you always were but, this really cements it. By the way James, Olivia asks me to stop talking at about 200 meters into our run and we only run about 2 miles. Facing 26.2 miles, she'd probably ninja-kick me in the larynx. I think the best way to overcome this would be to drink the numerous glasses of champagne pre-race? Probably not exactly a performance enhancer though. Great update JD! Keep them coming.
Congratulations to you both.
James, you glorious sandbagger. Tell them that you qualified for Boston!
You guys rock! Nice work! What a wonderful accomplishment, and made all the more special by accomplishing it together.
Post a Comment