Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Grandpa stories

Here's a story from a friend of my Dad (aka Grandpa Tom) about his college ROTC days. "Remembering Tom Dougherty & Life Lessons" Copying it over to our blog for posterity's sake.


"It was November 1967, during my freshman year, pledging and hell night were behind me. We were in the day room, and there was the always present card game. It was Pinochle. Tom Dougherty said “sit down Lowenbraun, we need a 4th person.” It was more like a command than a request. I told him that I didn’t know how to play Pinochle. Hell, I didn’t even know how to spell Pinochle. But Tom took me as his partner and he taught me how to play Pinochle. It cost me a few bucks, and Tom said I had to pay for my losses and his losses too because he didn’t have any cash. I never knew you could go to a card game with no money. But I did get his IOU, yeah right. Everyone passed around IOU’s even though we all knew they were worth less than Confederate script. Pinochle also almost cost me my education. I got hooked on the game and would cut classes just to play Pinochle. I would play in the day room, in the cafeteria, on the buses to drill meets, and all the way to Dayton, Ohio. I would play with people like Fred Palumbo, Richie Mahler, Joe Hughes, Joe D’Heron, Mike McCloud, Tommy Edwards, Frank Palmieri, and all the others. I even remember the time I was dealt 9 hearts on the way to Dayton. If you won, the rewards were, a dollar a game, plus penny a point, quarters for stars and holes. If you could collect it. Since that day in 1967, when Tom told me to sit down, Pinochle is absolutely my favorite card game. Thank you Tommy.

In my sophomore year Tom Dougherty was Company K-8 1st Sergeant.
That year I marched in front of Tom on the IDR A-Team. It was a great IDR team commanded by Frank Russomanno (1969). As always we were practicing outside in the Seton Hall parking lot next to the old gym. I remember how most mornings you forgot about how cold it was once the order was given “forward march” and you focused on what you were there for. Your teammates and brothers counted on each other. And I marched in front of Tom.
I remember Tom whispering to me “pull down, pull down, cant left, cant left, pull down. He was of course talking about how I held my rifle. Then he would whisper, “Lowenbraun, you pull down or I’m gonna kick you in the ass.” Tommy scared the shit out of me. When the command came for “rear march”, Tom was in front of me. Then it was my turn. It was my chance to tell him to pull down or cant left. Tom’s rifle was perfect, and it never changed position. It was as if Tom and his rifle were one and the same. Then the command came again “rear march” and I was in front of Tom again. He demanded perfection, and his work ethic was to be admired. Thank you Tommy.

I don’t remember which drill meet it was, but after the drill meet we were having our beers when Tom sat next to me and told me to try something else. Scotch…definitely Dewars. It was a tough night for me, but I got through it and survived. And since that night with Tom, Dewar’s is my go-to drink. There have been many nights with Dewars since then, and never a hangover. At my daughters wedding this August, I drank Dewars, and felt great. Thank you Tommy.
So it was like that with Tom. He taught me to play Pinochle, drink Scotch, work hard, and strive for perfection. I have worked hard and look forward to retirement, and maybe once a week, play Pinochle with old friends and drink Dewars. Tom taught me life lessons, and maybe he taught you some lessons as well. Not bad things to learn from a brother. He still scares the shit out of me. Thank you Tommy."

Mike Lowenbraun '71
Thanks to the men of Company K8 - Dad's ROTC fraternity brothers at Seton Hall

No comments: