Friday, June 13, 2008

Alcatraz!


This was my 4th time competing in the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon with the one (the only) Charlie. He's a lot faster than I - but I have a blast riding the boat out with him before the plunge. He also has other wonderful assets - he provides me a sweet bike for the race, numerous accessories (water bottles, towels, etc.), multiple tivo'ed episodes of The Office, a place to stay, and Andrea - whose love, baking, and cooking prowess are only outdone by her good looks and willingness to await us at the finish line with champagne.



On a sidenote - I defeated Charlie for the first time ever this year. I beat his transition from the bike to the run by 5 seconds! After years of combing statistics looking for one aspect where I may have edged him out - VICTORY! (He must have fallen down) Feel free to email him and comment. If you're looking for a subject line, you might use "James owns Charlie" (just a suggestion)




Does anyone know which way the weight room is? Is it that way?




I always miss the fam lots at this event - we need to accelerate their training so we can all do it next year. In an attempt to try and play up the event for the kiddies- I gave this little speech on the way to the airport, "Daddy's going to visit Charlie. We're going to plunge into the icy, shark infested waters of San francisco Bay; Bike the grueling elevations of SF; then run the dreaded sand ladder in our quest to Escape from the Rock {insert dramatic pause}" They were very quiet...although Finn did warn me (as he does daily) "Don't fall off your bike, Dad." Very helpful, Finn. Thanks. However, every time I called home, Seamus greeted me with extensive questions. "Dad, is the sand ladder made of sand?" "Do you take a boat to the sand ladder?" "Could I do the sand ladder with you?" "Could I ride my alleycat behind you to the sand ladder?" "I want to ladder the sand, but I don't like deep water. Is the water deep?" Evidently, the sand ladder captured his imagination. Here's a picture that captures it a bit - it goes for 400 steps.


Many thanks to Margo and Julian for hosting us for a post race dinner! We had great food - Margo is an excellent cook. And they treated us to their great views of the city. We played "Stump the Julian" by randomly pointing at distant locations from their deck - but lost. While, again, a visit with margo has come and gone without a picture - I've posted this picture of her and Julian to prove that they do, in fact, exist. Thanks again, Margo and Julian!

A good time was had by all. Party.


Thanks Anne, Seamus, Finn, and MJ - for rooting me on, loving me from MN, and welcoming me home! Go Dougherty summer of fitness!


4 comments:

jdoughe3 said...

James rocks! I am so proud of you for everything you do - every day I get to be amazed by your determination and strength.

And you're hot. So that works out really well for me.

XOXOXO,
A

Rachel A said...

Congrats James - we are proud of you. How do I get Rob signed up for the Dougherty summer of fitness? I have an excuse for a couple more weeks, then I'll be looking for a sign up too.

I agree with Anne, keep those big guns under control. We miss you all!

Katie said...

Great job, James! You're amazing!

margo said...

That picture of "Julian" and me is just weird. But the pics of James and Charlie are even weirder.

I understand the confusion over the sand ladder. When I was his age, I found out my room in our new house had a sliding glass door. I remember the disappointment when I saw it and realized that there would be no sliding down it.