Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Christmas Season





Well, I've taken some pictures over the last few days, but unfortunately I had the camera at the wrong setting so they didn't turn out very well. Seamus had his last music class until the end of January and I tried to get some pictures of the class - these turned out the best - which isn't saying very much. It was fun watching him progress over the last two months - the kids went from lots of jumping and energy to being able to sit and listen, follow directions and use their manners really well. If anyone is interested, the classes are from All 12 Notes on Randolph and they have small classes from 6 months through piano lessons. The teacher was a former music teacher at St. Mark's - fun, young and enthusiastic. Seamus loved her. You can see the boys went "skating" on slippery paper plates - Finny even got in on the act.



I suppose I should have a lot to say - I've been having lots of memorable parenting moments lately. Seamus has something curious to say everyday (in truth just about every minute) "Joseph was Mary's first husband..." - which I suppose it true but the implications are interesting. A whole new Da Vinci code... Finn is following directions and really starting to come into his own. It's strange that one day you see this baby and the next day he's putting toys away or giving hugs and trying to communicate. They are both very into wrestling right now and so I live in a constant state of "Stop that - or we'll end up in the emergency room." The problem is they are having so much fun.

Seamus helped kick off the Christmas season for us this year around Thanksgiving when he started to be aware of "gratitude". My dad said a very moving but simple prayer on Thanksgiving that prompted Seamus and I to chat about all the good things we have in our lives and he asked the obvious 3 year questions - why doesn't everyone have good food and comfy beds? Why can't we give everyone food and a place to stay? As simple as it sounds, he was right, we should and can help people who don't just have less than us, but who have nothing at all. It's helped us find ways to be more generous this year.

So many people I've talked to lately are stressed out about parties they don't want to go to or people they don't know how to buy for. This is a time of year when holiday giving can feel hollow and frustrating as often as it can feel satisfing and fun. We're pretty much all done with our friends and family gift buying and I have to say I enjoyed it more this year because I worried less about spending money and more about giving something meaningful.

I'm hoping this year that we can really give ourselves the gift of year round generousity. Raising small children makes some things very simple - if I want to raise children with a world-bettering sense of generousity and gratitude I'd better get my act in gear. James went on a silent retreat again this year and I think it helped all of us to quiet ourselves and focus on what's important and the real gifts in our lives. I'm already having a more meaningful holiday season because of it. I'm rambling. Sorry.

Santa happened to be stopping by Visitation on Saturday and so we got to see him as well as some good friends. Again most of the pictures didn't really turn out - but this at least gives you an idea. Seamus asked Santa for Bat Music (I think he means the theme song which I just discovered is James's new cell ring). Finn was wildly excited about getting to see Santa and as soon as we got up to sit on his lap, he was immediately displeased. Like he was thinking: "This is not at ALL what I expected..."








We also left with two helium balloons. I warned Seamus 100 times as we were leaving he had to really hold on to it or it would blow away. In the parking lot as I was trying to get the boys into the car, Seamus lost his (he was pretending it was a kite). And the pure sadness in his voice: "Oh balloon, come back to me, oh balloon, PLEASE come back to me. My balloon..." I actually got teary eyed. I wanted so badly to go back in and get him another one. I didn't. It felt like some sort of lesson for us both.




















As usual - we think Joe and Maria are very good looking.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Anne, thank you so much for sharing some many details about the boys and what they are doing these days. Its almost as good as being there myself. Almost. Its so fun to hear how Seamus thinks about things these days, and I can't wait to hear Finn take on everything someday soon.

Please give all your boys a big hug for me!

Renee Miller said...

AH HA HA HA ha ha ha ha ha ha heehee haha ha ha.
(Sorry, I was just trying to imagine James on a silent retreat.)

Miss you guys!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to my favorite Doughertys. This post really brightened my day.

Love you!